CHAPTER 9

Severus = Italic

McGonagall = bold italic

Sal = bold not italic

"..." means a pause or silence, depending on the context.

24 December, 1998

...

*a few hours later*

You haven't written anything for three hours. Look, I understand you are shocked Salma...

Oh shocked is an understatement... Professor! And please don't call me that, I hate that name.

I am sorry, I won't.

I was such an idiot! I should have made the connection earlier. Sev is short for Severus, how hard is that! I am so dumb!

No, you are not. You couldn't have made the connection when you believed I was dead.

But... why? Why did you lie to me Professor? Why did you pretend like you were dead when you are not? Do you know what the news of your "death" did to me? I couldn't eat or sleep for weeks, I had to be admitted in a hospital because I refused food. They had no choice but to feed me with a tube down my throat. I couldn't do anything productive with my life. I locked myself in my shitty apartment hoping I would die in silence, hoping I would join you!

THAT IS WHAT YOUR DEATH DID TO ME!

I blamed myself for your death every single day, I couldn't do anything to save you despite you not even knowing I exist!

And... and when I was given this notebook from Dumbledore, I began to get happy again. I would be thrilled every time you write to me. You made me open my heart to you and I did. I... you made me embarrass myself in front of you! I spilled my heart out to you! I said things I shouldn't have, I...

Your feelings towards me are extremely admirable Sal. You didn't embarrass yourself, I assure you. And I am sorry for not telling you about me earlier, I just couldn't. Every time you would speak highly of me, I would hate myself even more.

All these pure feelings should be directed to someone else. You are a great person and you deserve someone like you. Kind, innocent, full of life.

Someone who isn't me. Someone who will forever be labelled as a traitor, evil, cold.

That is extremely selfish of you! So everything I told you this past month made no difference at all. I already made my mind about you, I already chose you!

...

...

Chose me?

...

*a few hours later*

Um, hey.

Sal, finally! You had me worried, are you alright?

Yea, I... I am fine now. I took my medication.

Medication?

It helps calm me down.

So about what I said earlier, I am very sorry, about all of it. Can we please just pretend like I never said all those things? Please. I will start working at Hogwarts from tomorrow so I don't know if I will be able to write every day to you but I will try my best.

I know what you are trying to do and it's not healthy. You cannot just pretend like your feelings are not valid. I won't forget all those wonderful things you said to me and I suggest you don't do that too.

...

...

Goodbye, Severus.

SAL! Why are you saying goodbye?

...

25 December 1998

Merry Christmas Sal.

...

...

*a few hours later*

Please write back, I am worried. Don't make me come to your house.

...

...

1 January, 1999

How are you doing Severus? I am writing this short message to let you know that the girl you recommended to me, Salma Farid has received the letter of her hiring but she still didn't arrive to Hogwarts. Are you sure she is competent Severus? She hasn't even shown up for her scheduled interview. If she doesn't show her face by tomorrow, she will be immediately rejected. I am running a tight ship and I cannot let such behaviour slide.

Minerva-

****

*After Severus reads Minerva's letter*

Sal, why didn't you go for your job interview? This is serious, you need to respond immediately.

...

*one hour later*

Fine! If you don't want to write back, it is your wish but at least don't ignore the Headmistress. This is your dream job, the least you could do is take it seriously. She sent me a letter regretting her decision in hiring you and if you don't go to your interview tomorrow, she will deny you the position. Is that what you want?!

...

*two hours later*

This is in my face, I gave her my utmost confidence in you. You will let her down and will let me down!

...

*a few drops of blood falls on the pages and gets absorbed*

Oh Merlin! What is that?!

Sal, you will write to me this instance!

...

...