13 | Thunderstruck

╔══════════════════╗

VALOR
xiii. THUNDERSTRUCK

╚══════════════════╝

   RILEY HATED TONY STARK

   Well, that wasn't true. Actually, it was far from it. In reality, Riley just despised him when she was trying to be serious, especially while working. She wasn't sure what having a best friend entailed, never mind one that's several decades older than you, but Riley was pretty sure Tony Stark had somehow become her's.

   Unfortunately, that meant Riley would never be able to concentrate while on the clock because he wouldn't stop yapping in her ear.

   "Admit it."

   "No."

   "My taste in music is superior."

   Riley O'Dair kept her eyes trained in front of her as she quietly contended, "You picked the worst song to have a dramatic entrance to."

   Tony shrugged, still wearing his clunky suit. The big group huddled around in the Quinjet. Natasha Romanoff, Riley O'Dair, Steve Rogers, Roman, Tony Stark, and Loki were all squished together in the aircraft. It sure was a sight.

   "Yeah?" challenged Tony. "Well, you're the worst best friend." This caused Riley to snap her head toward him. "Seriously, you befriended the dude that crash-landed into my baby?"

   Honestly, Tony was only trying to annoy Riley because it was so satisfying. He found entertainment in how serious the child was in contrast to his oftentimes immature nature. Personally, Tony thought Riley took her job way too seriously.

   He remembered how stressed Riley had been the evening before she and Natasha flew out to Calcutta to retrieve Dr. Banner. To help her feel better, Tony forced her to have a dance party with him. It was the first time they'd done it, but somehow, they both knew that wouldn't be the last time.

   Riley rolled her eyes. "Be glad it was just your dumb tower and not an actual baby, not that God would actually give you one," she retorted. "You had it fixed overnight anyway. I don't see what the big deal is."

   Steve Rogers glanced between the bickering duo, trying to understand their friendship. He still couldn't quite understand his new colleagues. They were nothing like the soldiers from his time. Back then, the soldiers were respectful, mature, brave. But these guys? The Avengers weren't anything close to true heroes.

   Steve could figure out Roman fairly quickly based on the few comments he had made and the permanent grimace on his otherworldly features—brooding, outspoken, aggressive, and unpredictable. He was dangerous. Steve knew he'd have to keep his eye out for him. He was an alien, after all.