02 | Captain Obvious

╔══════════════════╗

VALOR
ii. CAPTAIN OBVIOUS

╚══════════════════╝

  THE YEAR IS 2014. Another year around the sun and nothing's changed. The sky's still blue, the buildings are taller than the trees, and Agent Riley O'Dair is just as annoying as Natasha Romanoff remembered her.

  Riley and Natasha had spent a few months apart after a few new missions had taken up their time. Riley was rather used to working alongside the Black Widow, so when they were separated, she felt like a child being taken away from her mother. Of course, Riley wouldn't tell Natasha that she actually, sorta missed her. That was just something she kept for herself.

  Riley sat in the front seat, staring out the window as Natasha drove throughout the streets of Washington D.C. The two were in a bit of a hurry, which could be proven by Natasha's blatant speeding, but that didn't stop Riley from rambling throughout the drive. Of course, Natasha still hadn't fully realized that Riley's ramblings were just her way of showing that she felt comfortable with her.

  "I don't think I like D.C. that much," admitted Riley. "Most officials are just old and racist. Have you noticed that, or is it just me?"

  Natasha hummed, the corners of her lips subtly twitching upward. "You know, that's a pretty good description of the U.S.," she admitted, causing Riley to lightly laugh.

  Riley leaned into her seat, invisible as per usual whenever she left any establishment. Natasha stopped the car when they reached the curb Steve Rogers had been standing near. Riley watched him curiously as he spoke to someone she didn't recognize.

  It almost felt like fate the way Riley, Natasha, and Steve were all reunited. Originally, Riley had been tasked by Director Nick Fury to perform an assist for S.H.I.E.L.D.'s espionage agency, S.T.R.I.K.E., given her useful powers. She was supposed to aid S.T.R.I.K.E. in spy work and defensive or offensive operations whenever necessary. Riley had no clue Natasha and Steve had also been assigned to assist S.T.R.I.K.E. on the same conditions, but she was glad she was reunited with two of her fellow Avengers.

  Rolling down Riley's window, Natasha wore a sly smile and greeted, "Hey, fellas, either one of you know where the Smithsonian is? I'm here to pick up a fossil."

  Steve lightly chuckled as he approached the car. He was still in his work-out clothes, his shirt stained with sweat. "That's hilarious," Steve remarked. He glanced down at the seemingly empty passenger seat, seeing that the seatbelt was buckled in. "There's seriously something wrong about making a grown man give up the passenger seat for a kid."

  "Uh, I'm 13," Riley matter-of-factly reminded him as he got in the car. A few more words were exchanged between Steve, Natasha, and the unnamed man standing outside before they left. "Hey, Steve, you still have that notebook?"