17 | Checkmate

╔══════════════════╗

VALOR
xvii. CHECKMATE

╚══════════════════╝

   "THIS GAME IS STUPID

   "THIS GAME IS STUPID."

   Riley O'Dair sat on the slightly weathered couch in the common room of the Avengers Facility, her legs crisscrossed. Determination and annoyance blended together on her luminous face. Across from her was Vision, and between them was a brand new chessboard. They'd been playing all afternoon, and Vision had won every single game.

   "If I'm being frank, the game itself isn't stupid," Vision gently disagreed, crossing one of his legs. "You're simply bad at chess."

   "I'm not bad at anything, JARVIS," she grumbled. Although it'd been a year since his birth, Riley often called Vision by his deadname on accident. He eventually learned to ignore it. "It's a lot harder playing against a super-computer than you think."

   "I could go easier on you if you'd prefer," he suggested, which Riley immediately opposed. "Stubbornness will never win the war, but fine. I'll honor your wish."

   Riley rolled her eyes. "Look, if I can't beat you fair and square, it doesn't count. Now, shut up and let me think." Vision lightly sighed. Silence returned to the Avengers Facility.

   In all honesty, the headquarters were always silent nowadays. Sure, there was the low purr of the air conditioning system or the echo of footsteps, but it was always unbearably quiet. From the moment dawn broke to the passing of twilight, there was an uncomfortable hush that Riley found suffocating.

   She preferred it when the facility bustled with life. She was used to Pietro making a mess in the morning, Steve playing the news 24/7, and Sam and Natasha blasting music in the gym. She was used to Wanda baking all of the bizarre recipes she found online and Rhodey randomly visiting to tell everyone a "classic War Machine story". She was used to having family dinners almost every night, debating with Vision, arguing with Pietro over the silliest things, inventing things with Tony, and Skyping Clint every week with Natasha.

   All of the life had been drained from the Avengers Facility. Riley hated it.

   Once Riley finally made her first move in the game, Vision pointed out, "You seem... better." Upon discerning her dismay, he resumed, "You've spent the past few days in your bedroom, and I noticed between you and Wanda that it's common to spend time alone when you're upset."

   Riley scoffed when Vision made his move without thinking twice about it. "How do you always know what to do?" she asked, mostly to herself before adding, "I just needed to... process, you know?"