07 | Super Secret Boyband

╔══════════════════╗

VALOR
vii. SUPER SECRET BOYBAND

╚══════════════════╝

   CONTRARY TO POPULAR BELIEF, magic exists

   CONTRARY TO POPULAR BELIEF, magic exists. It prevails and thrives in all planes of existence, in all realities. In some universes, magic takes form in the lasers Iron Man shoots from his hands. In others, magic lies in the form of machines that can cook your food and the song in children's hearts. No matter where you are, magic is real, and it hides inside of us in strange ways.

   For example, Riley's magic wasn't her peculiar ability to manipulate ultraviolet rays, but rather, her gift of talking nonstop without a break.

   "And can I just say, how the hell does she walk around all day with that giant stick up her butt!?" cried out Riley O'Dair. "I made one mistake, and right as I saved the dude we want to recruit for my team of badass superheroes, I'm in trouble? No "Thanks, Riley!", no "You're a hero, Riley!" Nothing! It's so annoying!"

   Director Nick Fury shot the girl a judgmental glance. "Hang on," he began. "Your team of superheroes?"

   Riley offered him an annoyed glance. "That's all you got from my rant? Not the part where Nat suspended me from the mission and I thought it was unfair 'cause I'm still learning?"

   Fury shrugged, resting his hands on the steering wheel of his car as he mentioned, "You do realize she temporarily suspended you, right? You passed out from overexerting yourself. Agent Romanoff suspended you to help you."

   For the past few days, Riley had been temporarily suspended from the mission. She had been under the impression that she was being punished for revealing herself to Tony; however, the truth was that she needed time to physically recover from straining herself and her powers, as well as learn more about Tony's case.

   See, after Riley informed Natasha on Tony's worrying blood toxicity, she was sent to Fury to tell him more. Then, Fury sent Riley to shadow S.H.I.E.L.D.'s team of scientists to observe the process of producing an antidote for Tony. From there, Riley was actually able to use her education in aiding her colleagues in the remedy's creation. It wasn't a cure, but it was a start. Plus, it revealed Riley's hidden knack for biochemistry.

   Riley crossed her arms and sunk in her seat with a pout. "Yeah, but I was a total badass," the 9-year-old grumbled. She paused. "Wait, why can't I call the Avengers my team?"

   "You can," assured Fury, "but it's technically not your team. Not unless you're leading it. You're just... a future member of the team. You know that, O'Dair. You're too young.