Chapter 4

Enjoy

~~~~~~~~~

One came lunging at Hyakkimaru, but he took out his katana and sliced the spirit in half. I glance over at the two kids not too far away to see them a semi-safe distance away.

Hyakki attacks the oncoming spirits and cuts them in half like he had previously done to the other fox. As soon as the number of spirits decreased a little, more spawned back again. It was as if the more we killed, the more would come back.

The foxes swarmed around us like the predators they are. I heard a 'clank' in Hyakkimaru's direction, so I look over to see his prosthetic arms off, revealing two blades. I couldn't help but stare. To have swords as arms must be cool and all but imagine how uncomfortable it must be.

I snapped out of my daze as the foxes came charging at us. I glance over at the kids to see if they were in any danger, and it seemed to be okay with them for now. I look back over at Hyakkimaru to see him slashing spirits left and right. Until he gets hit by one of the foxes, scratching his cheek.

I try to help the best I can, but Dororo beats me to it.

"Aniki! You stupid fox! Take this!" Dororo yells while starting to throw rocks at the spirits. Surprisingly it took out some of the foxes.

Guess I must step up my game. As I was thinking of what to do in this situation, I looked around, analysing everything. Something caught my eye though. Sokeroku running in to the forest alone, on the other side of the Banmon wall. I couldn't care less about the kid, but I did get worried when Dororo tried to run after him.

"Dororo! Watch out!" a fox was coming right for her. 'I gotta do something!'

In a flash the fox was dead, disappeared into thin air.

She opened her eyes, feeling no pain. Then stared at me with a grin. "Y/n!", "Are you okay Dororo?" I asked with a smile, holding out my hand to help her up. She looked amazed at my elongated sharp claw-like nails. She shakily took my hand and I helped her up to her feet.

"we gotta go after Sokeroku!" she exclaims while clutching my hand tightly. I sigh and look over to Hyakkimaru to see him able to handle his own, like always. I look back at Dororo and merely nod my head. She jumps up and starts to run towards where the other kid had previously ran. I follow, but get stopped by spirits, blocking me off from Dororo.

"Y/n!" She yells from the other side. "Go!" I yell back, getting swarmed by foxes. She hesitates but listens and continues after Sokeroku.

I get ready to attack, but the spirits start to retreat. 'what the hell?' I glance over to Hyakkimaru to see the spirits around him too start to retreat. But retreat was obviously the wrong word for it, because soon after they all form a big nine tailed fox spirit. I stare at it in awe.

"it's very beautiful... to be a demon I mean." I snicker. I'm pretty sure Hyakki heard me because he glanced in my direction. a second later the fox started to launch attacks at us, but dodging was the only option so far. So, using my extreme flexibility I dodged most of the attacks. Same goes for Hyakkimaru, until the fox lands directly onto Him. Pinning his arms down with its big paws.

I manage to scratch the demon's side with my claws, getting it off him. He then slashes the leg of the fox, making its leg turn into nothingness. We were about to attack again, but some arrows beat us to it. I stare at the arrows in confusion, until one of them barely misses my head. I shriek in surprise and back away slightly making me bump into Hyakkimaru's chest.

I blush and look up at him from over my shoulder. He was a bit taller than me; I was barely up to his chin.

I snap out of my daze as the fox howled, and then disappeared into thin air, fully retreating. I sigh in relief and lean more against Hyakki's chest. But then I heard horse hooves. My ears perking up at the sound, and my nose scrunching in disgust at the new scent. My claws were still out, due to the new seeming threat entering my field of smell. I gently hold onto Hyakkimaru's arm as I could sense a lot more people coming our way.

And there he was, a man with a big scar shaped like an X in his forehead. His presence screamed authority. And since he was the only one on a horse, he seemed to be a leader of some sort. Many men with bows and arrows were gathered around the man.

I tightened my grip around Hyakki's arm a little, not liking the men, but being careful so I didn't hurt myself on his blade-for-hands as he hadn't yet gotten the chance to pick up his prosthetic arms.

"who... are you?" He utters quietly, "what are you?"

I look at him in confusion as to what he meant, then realized that maybe it has something to do with the strange scent of this man. One of the followers of the man asked if he had never heard of 'Lord Daigo Kagemitsu?' I wonder, 'where have I heard that name before?'

As I was thinking hard about where I've heard that name before, Hyakki forces me to let go of his arm as he shoots two rocks at the men that's holding the torches, making them drop them and provide them with no light. This is one of the times that it's very helpful to have night vision.

Hyakki suddenly leaves my side and goes straight for this so-called Lord Daigo. "what on earth are you?" he questions from behind the lord. This is also one of the times that it's very helpful to have enhanced hearing. Hyakkimaru soon returns to my side after the lord tried to get a hit him.

I look on Hyakki's body to see no bruises or wounds whatsoever. I sigh in relief. "you really are reckless" I state. He merely shrugs me off as I pout.

"why are you alive? You half-born demon child!" surprise was the only thing that was present at the moment. I could see it on Hyakki's face, it was clear as day. 'that's what the woman said when we were in town too...' I pondered.

"Kill them" the lord ordered as the men started firing arrows at us.

We both dodged the arrows, though one of them grazed my shoulder, spilling blood. I clutch the wound and follow after Hyakkimaru as he quickly takes his prosthetic arms and we both flee from the scene.

The men chased the wild boar while we were hiding in the top of a tree. I was silently trying to treat my wound, while Hyakkimaru was obviously thinking about what had just happened. He was leaning against the trunk of the tree, and I was sitting on the branch tying some fabric around my shoulder to lay pressure on the wound, 'I should really get this cleaned though...'

"was I only half born? A demon child?" I could hear the anger and hurt in his voice. I look over at him and couldn't see his face due to him looking away. I finished tying my wound and stood up on the branch and moved over to him. I gently cupped his cheeks to make him look at me, or at least, to the best of his ability.

"you're not some half-born demon child. You hear." I said sternly, "You're Hyakkimaru. You're fighting demons left and right!" I gently stroke my thumbs underneath his eyes while smiling, "you're blind, but even though you are you still fight. I find that very amazing about you. I don't know your goal, but I do know that you're passionate about it and clearly want revenge. And I'm guessing that your prosthetics has something to do with it too right?"

He was obviously surprised and impressed by my observational skills, and merely nods in response.

I just smile at him, "I won't pry about having to know your reasoning for doing whatever you do, but one thing I would like to know is about your eyes..." He just stares at me. "you don't have to answer, but they just looked to also be fake, so I just got curious to how you can move so freely without your eyes." I explained.

"souls" is all he said. I stare at him confused. "souls?" I question. "I see souls" he states. "I don't completely understand... how is that possible?" he doesn't answer. "ah gomen gomen. I didn't mean to pry." I nervously laugh.

Then there's a silence. Not an awkward one. But a comfortable one, just enjoying each other's company.

He still wasn't completely relaxed like I wanted him to be. I couldn't help myself but hug him. He seemed tense for a moment, then soon relaxed completely into my embrace and soon hugged back.

I soon got off of him and apologized for doing that so suddenly, "it just seemed like you needed one is all." I grinned at him seeing his cheeks having a very light pink tint to them. I then suddenly came to a realization.

"where the fuck is Dororo."

~~~~~~~~

1593 words

published 10.05.2019