Chapter 5

a slightly shorter chapter, but the next one will be longer. 

also, this chapter is more about bonding with Dororo.

more fluff with Hyakki will be in the next one tho. 

enjoy~

~~~~~~~~

"Dororo! Hey are you okay!" I gently slapped her cheek to try and wake her up. She was currently unconscious. I found her floating down a river nearby, although it was difficult to get her on land. Since I'm not too fond of water. But I was relieved to only see her have a few scratches and bruises. Nothing too bad. She was currently laying on the ground with my cloak around her to keep her warm since she was soaking wet.

"hey kid! You better wake up before I actually drown you in that river!" I was getting more agitated and worried by the second.

Then her eyes opened wide as she started to cough. I sighed in relief to see her wake up. I gently patted her back till she finished coughing up the water.

Let me maybe give a little context to how I ended up going looking for Dororo and splitting up with Hyakkimaru.

~earlier~

We both were looking around the forest for Dororo, with no luck so far. "I can't seem to find her scent..." I stated worriedly. Hyakki only patted my head to give me some sort of comfort.

My cloak was on again as the air was a bit cold as it was early in the morning, maybe around 8am.

Hyakkimaru had been way more silent than normal, well not really more silent, but more unresponsive. I tried to comfort him to the best of my ability, but my presence can only do so much.

I sigh, "you know... if it really bothers you that much, you can go back there and try to find out the reason." He only continues staring straight ahead. "of course, don't get too close so you get killed" I laugh a little to try and lighten the mood a little. He glances at me a little from the corner of his eye.

"it's okay Hyakki, I can continue searching for Dororo on my own" I smile at him. he looks at me for a bit. "lets just meet up here when we both finish our missions, kay?"

~back to present~

"you know, if you keep wearing those wet clothes, you're bound to get sick." I told her to undress so I could dry her clothes, but she was a bit hesitant to. She eventually did as told though and gave me her wet clothes. She was tightly holding onto my cloak that was keeping her warm. It was like she didn't want me to see her body.

"what's wrong?" I ask while hanging up her clothes on a branch. She just looks away from me. The way she was tightly holding onto my cloak was clearly not because she was cold. 'does she not know that I know she's a girl?' I ponder this question inside my head and concluded that it was.

I giggle a little to myself, gaining Dororo's attention. I walk over to her slowly and kneel to where she's sitting on the ground, so I'm right in front of her.

"I know your little secret" I snicker. she stares at me in utter confusion. "your scent gave you away. I've known ever since I first met you." I continue while snickering. She looks so confused and then suddenly realizes what I'm talking about.

"whaaaa?!" she suddenly yells loudly making me wince at the volume on my poor sensitive ears. She quickly apologizes and asks if I'm okay. I only laugh in response and then smile gently at her, "you don't have to hide it you know. Its no shame in being a girl"

She just looks down. 'maybe it's a sensitive topic?' I ask myself.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to pry" I apologize. She quickly goes to say I have nothing to apologize for and such. I just smile at her.

"how about I heal those bruises though" I suggest while gently prying the cloak off her small shoulders so I could get a better look at her bruised skin.

She stares at me in confusion, "heal? What?"

I giggle and gently take her hand and lick it with my raspy tongue (like a cat's tongue). She shivers as I do this and the bruise on her hand starts to slowly disappear.

She stares at me in shock.

I giggle at her reaction.

"that's so cool! But kind of disgusting too..." she exclaims and then trails off.

"its healing saliva. It is kind of disgusting, but since I'm half cat it kind of makes sense." I shrug.

I slowly start to heal her bruises one by one.

"Oi..." Dororo trails off, "what's up with you and Aniki?"

"what do you mean?"

"its just that its been such a short time but you two seem a bit too close..."

"in what way?"

"I-I don't know! Y-you're always so close to him!"

"ah..." I ponder, then giggle a little," jealous?" I ask teasingly. She turns beet red and starts denying it while I just laugh.

"looks like your clothes are dry and your bruises are healed" I say after we both calm down, "we should head back to Hyakkimaru." Dororo agrees and gets dressed. We both then head back to where the meeting place was at. 

~~~~~~~~

902 words

published 11.05.2019