06. That Was My Fault

Saturday came too soon. Bee had been texting constantly to remind me about the party that I didn't want to go to. She threatened me with violence until I agreed.

When I finally got myself out of bed, I was surprised to see Mom on the couch with Taylor watching some Moana for the hundredth time. Between me going to school and her working we hadn't seen each other all week. I joined them on the couch, still in my pajamas with a scarf on my head.

"Do you have to go to the warehouse tonight?" I asked, slightly hopeful. If she did, then I'd have to stay home and babysit.

"Nope."

My hope deflated. We sat quietly as Taylor babbled the words to the song on the TV, completely zoned out. After a few minutes I built up the courage to ask.

"Did you take Taylor out of daycare?" Taylor had been at Ms. Coleman's this entire week. And I hated to go over there and pick her up because I had to endure all those nosy questions.

"You hear from your daddy yet?"

"Why doesn't Deshaun come around anymore?"

"When are y'all gonna do something about those weeds?"

I smiled and bore it, but I really want to tell that old lady to mind her business.

"It got too expensive," she said, still looking at the TV.

Another beat of silence passed as I pulled at a loose string on my shirt. Then I asked, "What if I got a job?"

She looked at me now, eyes narrowed. "Absolutely not. Your job is school. That's all you have to worry about. Let me handle the rest."

"I can do both. Just let me—"

"I said no, Jade." Her tone was sharp, final.

I dropped the subject and headed back to my room to work on some homework.

* * *

At around eight Bee sent another series of messages demanding that I meet her at the party in two hours. Since it was happening just down the block from her she could walk, I had to drive.

It took about an hour to find something to wear. I settled on a mustard yellow romper that looked nice against my dark brown skin. My hair was up in its usual puff and I kept my make-up simple. After adding a few accessories I was ready to go.

Mom let me borrow the car as long as I promised no drinking, which I never did anyway. Alcohol was disgusting no matter what fruity flavor it came in.

The house that the party was at was a plain two story house. With a large front yard that people were scattered across. Before I even had the car in park Bee was running over from the front lawn of the party, a red plastic cup in her hand.

"You're here!" She squealed, pulling the car door opened for me. "I thought I was gonna have to come to your house and drag you out."

She linked her arm with mine, taking a swig of her drink as we crossed the street back to the party.

The music was loud. The bodies were sweaty. Everything smelled like stale beer. Why did I come here again?

Bee lead me into the kitchen where a makeshift bar was to get a refill. While she was hit on by a red head guy that had no chance with her, I grab a bottle of water from the fridge.

Bee was sliding her phone into her the back pocket of her shorts as she walked over to me.

"You got his number?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. As far as I knew she was very much a lesbian.