60. Tonight (2)

Billy parked with the fleet of limousines and vintage cars in the parking lot. People in fancy dresses and stylish suits headed in to the hotel or stayed outside to take photos with friends. The sun had just began to set, turning the sky a gorgeous mix of purple, orange and pink.

"You kids have fun tonight," Billy said, holding the car door opened as we all filed out.

"We plan on it, Mr. Chambers," Gia assured him. She got this daydreamy look in her eyes before continuing. "I've been waiting for this moment since I was eleven and saw Carrie for the first. I know that's not the best example of a high school prom, but it was good up until the part with the pig's blood and—"

Before she could go on, Bee steered her girlfriend in the direction of some of her cheer buddies. "Let's go socialize, babe."

Once they walked away, Billy clamped a hand down on Nolan's shoulder. "Your mother would've loved this," he told him. "She used to worry about you not taking advantage of the high school experience. She was prepared to drag you to every pep rally and fundraiser your school had."

We laughed at that. Probably all thinking the same thing: Allison would've taken Nolan kicking and screaming. No doubt about it.

"But she didn't have to," he continued, looking at me. "Who knew a broken carburetor could change lives like this?"

It did come down to that, didn't it? What if another mechanic had been sent instead of Nolan? Would we be here now? Would we have just been a face in the crowded hallways to each other?

The thought that such a small detail could've meant not having Nolan in my life made me appreciate things a little more. When I looked up at Nolan and saw that his eyes were on me, a hint of a smile on his face, I knew he felt the same.

"Good thing I saved this." Billy dug into his wallet and pulled out a folded piece of paper, handing it to me. "Call it a prom gift. That's a thing, right?" He phone rang before either of us had a chance to answer. He glanced at the screen, then said, "Duty calls."

I didn't unfold the paper until after Billy left and Nolan and I were talking into the hotel. It took a second for me register what I was looking at. But when I did, an uncontrollable smile broke on my face.

"What is it?" He asked, trying to steal a peek.

"The review card from the day we met and you were being a total jerk," I said, smirking up at him.

"What'd you write on that anyway?" He asked, taking the paper from me.

"That you were being a total jerk."

"And that I ruined guys with long hair for you?" He stopped, glancing at me. "So, you only wanted me for my hair?"

Instead of answering that incriminating question, I kissed him.

"Are you trying to distract me?" He asked, pulling away a little.

I chewed at my bottom lip. "Is it working?"

"Yes." He smiled, leaning in again.

We were interrupted by Zane Banks and the annoying click of his camera as he bombarded us with photos.

"How does it feel being in the top six?" A girl, nearly as tall as Nolan, asked—pen and paper at the ready.

The year book committee knew no bounds.

"Awesome." Nolan said, clearly uninterested in being interviewed. He took my hand and started towards the entrance of the ball room that was decorated in a balloon arch in our school colors.