Chapter 7

When I woke up in the morning I was still in Shane’s arms and smiling to myself. I got out of his arms without waking him up and went to the store to get stuff for my hair. I changed my hair back to the blond and red strips I had before I left town. Then I went to work and the whole way there I thought about last night. I thought about all the kissing me and Shane did. I thought about the tickling and the talking. Most of all I thought about how I fell asleep in his arms and didn’t have one dream plus got a whole night sleep. I was smiling to myself and in my own little world I didn’t know I was about to walk into someone till it was too late and we ran into each other.

        It just happened to be Derek that I ran into and I didn’t notice that I had entered the diner. “Katerina do you know how to walk?” He asked me then noticed my hair for the first time. “What the hell did you do to your hair?” He asked wide eyed.

        “I dyed it.” I said stating the obvious. “Do you like it?” I asked not caring if he did or didn’t.

        “Yes.” He said taking a strain of my hair and rolled it back and forth between his thumb and pointer finger. “But why did you dye your hair?”

        “I don’t really know. I guess I just felt like it.” I said pulling my hair away from his hand and side step him to get to work.

        I heard him following me as I went to clock in. “So I was looking at the security tapes last night.” He said a little amused.

        “Okay why are you telling me this?” I asked getting annoyed        

        “I figured you would like to know that using the diner as a stage for yourself is not allowed.” He said getting more and more amused.

        I whipped around to look at him wided eyed.  He was standing way too close for my comfort. I took several steps back before I said anything. “You didn't actually hear me did you?” I asked

        “No I didn’t hear you sing, what three songs right? Each one better then the last.” Derek said sarcastically.

        “You know what sometimes you can be an ass.” I said pushing him out of my way.

        I got about two steps away when he grabbed my wrist. “Kat I didn’t mean anything by that. I just meant I thought you were good, well not good. I thought you should be in a recording studio not in this small town being a nobody.”  He said and I was scared to turn around and look at him because I could hear how much he meant it.

        “Thanks but I don’t mind being a nobody.” I said and pulled my wrist away. I went to my first table and start taking orders. Even though Derek didn’t follow me and try to finish the conversation I knew he wasn’t done with it. For about the first ten minutes I felt his eyes on me.

                                                                             *        *        *

        Around noon Kayla came in but without ben. “Where’s ben?” I asked Kayla.

        “Daycare like usual, you know that.” She said without looking at me.

        “Really I thought you would of told him I was back and he would want to come to work with you.” I said disappointed.

        “I didn’t tell him.” She said looking up. “Katerina what did you do to your hair?” She asked in a high pitched voice.