Scouting

This is what I imagine Arctic to look like.

Enjoy!

Whekim

The sun was poking its head over the horizon, the first rays of dawn illuminating the valley. I yawned and stretched, my hand accidentally bumping into Electra's scales as I gazed down at the view. Electra and I slept in the highest cave of the mountain, which had a manmade stone ledge as a landing platform. Some humans had obviously been here before, as leading from each cave there was a network of tunnels, all connecting in a huge cavern at the bottom. I stepped into the passageway and glanced to my right to see a trail of oil running along the side of the tunnel. This was our lighting system. Rather than have multiple lanterns, we just used a trail of oil which we set alight using a jet of flame from our hands. Sure it wasn't as luxurious but it was a lot easier.

Exiting into the bright sunlight at the bottom of the mountain I walked over to the stream. A huge shadow appeared next to me as Striker landed heavily, with a thump.

"Hello Amy,". He said.

"Morning Striker. Were you off scouting?" It was more a statement than a question as my eyes flicked to the roster attached to the cave wall by a spike of rock.

He yawned, displaying his two inch long fangs as he did so. "Yes. All was quiet although there was something happening at the Academy."

I looked up. "Like what?"

"I have no idea", he admitted. "All I know was that all the seniors were there as well as the Strike Team"

I nodded as Electra lazily glided down beside me.

"You fancy checking it out Electra?"

She looked at me blankly. "Checking out what?"

"A mysterious meeting at the academy".

She brightened. "Sure!"

Striker nodded to me. "Well I am going to bed. See you later!"

I called after him: "Striker! Can you tell Barney and Arctic that they are relieved of their patrol? Electra and I will take this one,".

I mounted Electra and she took off, her scales glimmering and sparkling in the sunlight. She emerged from the waterfall, water cascading down onto and around us before we broke free, emerging into the scent of pines and the chirping of birds. I held onto Electra's spike as she turned, turning to the East in the direction of the Academy. The forest was alive with the chattering of monkeys, the squawking of birds and the clicking of insects.

10 minutes later, we landed on the edge of the Academy Grounds. Signalling for Electra to stay put, I crept forward, my old hunter's senses kicking in as I trod softly, avoiding any twigs that would alert them of my presence. Nearing the edge of the forest, I dropped behind a conveniently placed bush and peered through the twigs. The Headmaster was talking:

"So then. Amy and her dragon Electra are still missing along with the rest of her Anchemi. We can only assume they have been manipulated by the evil rider Liam and his shadow dragon, which he keeps in iron chains. The Strike team are going to be searching the East, as we have checked the West, North and South,".

I smiled. They were going to search in the completely wrong direction! I crept back towards Electra and mounted. We took off as I mentally told all the other dragons what was said, so they could tell their riders. We veered to the West and began to do the last stretch of patrolling when I spotted a blur on the horizon. A huge blur. Electra hovered, peering curiously at the black blob. It was a group of dragons! And at the front was an unmistakable black dragon. Phantom. I raised my hand in greeting as they flew closer and hovered in front of me.

"Phantom!" I called.

"Amy! It's great to see you! Are you going to the Academy?"

I flushed crimson. Liam was going to be so annoyed at me, although I couldn't actually see him.

"No. We don't exactly live there any more,".

He gave a shrug. "These are ex servants of the Dragon King. They wanted to meet you and help you if you begin a rebellion,".

I shrugged back. "Ok, where is Liam?".

Phantom looked at me. "He is in the Dragon King's Palace. He refused my offer to help him escape. Is there any chance we could go to your base and rest?".

I nodded and Electra wheeled round. We flew quickly to the base and I mentally warned the other dragons about the influx of dragons that was going to invade our home.

Cherry and Cedar were waiting outside the tunnel as we descended, the quiet peacefulness of the huge lake destroyed by a load of dragons landing with a thunk in the water. The other riders and their dragons came out and Phantom roared to get their attention.

"Everyone, this is Amy,". He stated proudly.

The Dragon King is up to 10,000 words! I just have a few questions:

What do you think of The Dragon King?

Do you like having chapters in Phantom's point of view?

If you were a dragon, what element would you be?

Please comment and vote!

Whekim