Cherry's POV - The External Battle

As the others left, Darren led in the first wave of dragons. The first and second legions were fighting, whilst another guarded our rear, patrolling the forest to look out for Sarsians. Striker raced up to me, hovering as he burst out:

"The Sarsians! They are all gone! Earth dragons have been sensing the ground to feel the animals in the forest and I've had dragons patrol above and through the forest. They're gone,". I nodded.

"Keep checking,". I ordered as Cedar and I flew closer to the castle to check the progress of the battle. Everywhere, dragons were fighting and I could see the desperation of our side to defeat the fire dragons, the people who had looked down on them all their life. As I watched, a lightning dragon shot a bolt of electricity at the aluminium guttering. The whole palace rocked. The air was filled with roars of pain as windows shattered inwards, slicing anyone inside. A fireball shot through the air and hit the wooden barracks. It caught on fire immediately and roars of shock and anguish came out as the fire intensified. The leader of the Royal Troops flew over, looked at the barracks, which was not fully on fire ad roared out:

"Let it burn!".

The roars turned from pain to panic and desperation as all those trapped inside heard his order.

Cedar wheeled round as I turned to the fire dragons.

"Put it out!".

The fire dragons nodded and hovered, concentrating. The fire dwindled and the dragons shot out while they could, staring in surprise at our troops as the ice dragons sent a gust of freezing air to put out the fire. They looked once at the Royal Troops, once at us and began flying towards me. They bowed their heads. One of them spoke up.

"We are forever in your debt. May we join your troops?"

I responded: "Of course. But rest first,". They nodded and wheeled away.

Darren and Ventos flew up. They looked exhausted and I nodded at them, before taking their place in the battle. The first and second legion were recalled, bruised, bloody and battered and the third and fourth legions of dragons flew over, to launch a fresh attack. Cedar dived in, firing boulders and fine pieces of grit at a bulky ice dragon and it flinched back as Cedar's talons scraped across it's belly.

Slash

Slash

Slash

The lightning dragon retreated, blood oozing and dripping out of it's wounds. An earth dragon flew up, slashing at Cedar's tail. He whipped it away, so a deadly attack became a light scratch.

Slash

Slash

Slash

The dragon dropped to the floor, dead, its wing hanging on by one slender tendon. It hit the roof of the northern tower, and some stones fell away, hitting one unfortunate lightning dragon on the head. It dropped to the floor.

A wind dragoness, on our side, flew up to us, and together we all worked in sync, myself warning us of approaching dragons and the two dragons fighting. Dragons came, fought and died nearby but we didn't realise, too focused in our own battles. A burst of fire and the dragoness was gone, nothing but ashes caught in the wind. A fire dragon flew up to us, maw open to shoot another burst of flame as Cedar shot forwards, embedding his claws deep in the eye, into the brain. The dragon slid off of the talons and landed with a thunk on the ground. A fire dragoness came, shooting out a fireball. Cedar swooped around it, firing spikes of rock at her wings. They tore holes through the membrane and she dropped, plunging down as another dragon slashed deep into her brain. Another dragon came, teeth bared, element at the ready.

Slash

Scratch

Bite.

The body dropped to the ground, shortly followed by the head. Boulders, fireballs, icicles and lightning bolts flew around, the whole area covered in a haze of elements. Nearby, Striker shot a lightning bolt at the nearest earth dragon. It hit it in the chest, the shoulders slumped, the chest curved in and the tail flopped. I watched the light go out of it's eyes as it dropped, crashing into the northern tower. Again. The whole structure rumbled, and wobbled, and slowly started to collapse. Glancing down I saw the lightning dragon who was hit by some rocks still unconscious on the ground. We dived, swooping in, Cedar yanked him up, pulling it out of the way and up just as the tower collapsed inwards, the roof sliding down to hit the ground with an almighty crash. The battle carried on, as the fifth and sixth legion replaced the third and fourth. Still Cedar and I fought on, elements flying everywhere. I was using my magic to create boulders, shooting them at approaching dragons. We worked as a team. More dragons fell to the floor.

The fighting intensified.

Slash

Slash

Slash

The first major fight scene! Did you like it?

We are only a few chapters away from finishing The Dragon King! Thank you so much to the readers who have voted, commented, or replied to me on their message board about either book. It's really uplifting and I like hearing your opinions on my books!

Whekim