Time

Sunday, May 12

I chose a weird month to write a reboot of this blog with everything going on. Next month would've almost been better to do this because I'm getting married and going to Alaska, but let's be real, I wouldn't have had time to write it everyday anyway.

There were a few routes I could take with today's blog: I could've either been like Mother's Day sucks, and I want nothing to do with the holiday, or I can be thankful that I even had a mother because without her, I would not be alive today. Without our moms, we would not be who we are today. 

Without Stacey, Ava would not be here today, and I am so thankful for being able to raise Ava. If we're honest, in some ways, I am like Ava's mom because I had to take on the role of being both Mom and Dad. When I look at Ava, I don't really think of her as my niece because she's my kid. Period. It's not complicated.

When we got home from the hotel today after swimming all morning, Ava went to her room quickly. It was weird because I knew she wasn't mad, but she was in a hurry, and I was very confused.

She came back down with a little booklet that had been colored. It said, "Happy Mother's Day" but "Mother's" was crossed out in blue, and it said "Parent's" instead.

"Ah, what is this?" I noticed that there were stars drawn over the flowers, probably in attempt to make it manly.

"It's a coupon book." She was so proud.

Flipping through it, I noticed that there was a coupon for cleaning toilets, washing my car, breakfast in bed, a hug, laundry help, and a foot rub? That last one will never be used, that's for sure because I don't want DHS after me for traumatizing my child. 

"This is awesome," I told her. "Thank you." 

"Happy Parent's Day." As she gave me a hug, apparently for free, I asked, "What do you wanna do today?"

"I don't know. It's your day."

Raising my eyebrows, I informed her, "Well, I'm more of a father than a mother."

"But you do the job of both."

Knowing that she realized that meant a lot to me. "Totally worth it." I smirked.

"What do you want to do?"

"Watch a movie? Have ice cream?"

"Yeah!"

"Okay! And then we get to go over to Mike and Jen's for dinner." 

"Oooh, yay! Is Uncle Mike cooking?"

"Yeah, because it's Mother's Day, and Jen shouldn't have to do any cooking, ya silly goose!"

"That's true." She smirked

We had a nice dinner at Mike and Jen's. Mike makes a really good burger. We were all kind of full right after dinner, so we decided to wait on Ronda's apple pie because we were all full, so while we were waiting, I offered, "Anyone wanna go on a walk with me?"

"Sure!" Dan, my cousin said. 

"Why not?" Eric stood up, stretching. "I'd go."

"Like, now?" Mike asked.

"Sure," I decided in that moment. 

"Okay, I'd be down for that." He dried his hands on a towel from the kitchen. 

"Okay." 

A few minutes later, we were on the road, otherwise known as the sidewalk. 

"It's a little chilly out," Mike confessed.

"It really is." Thankfully, I had a jacket. "This is the one thing about Iowa I just don't love. Your weather here is bipolar."

Laughing out loud, Eric nodded in agreement. "That's why I'm looking for jobs down south."

"See, I would move back down south," I said, "but I don't want to move my family out of Iowa."

"Yeah," Dan agreed. "I respect that." He looked at me. "Hey, I heard you got another job." 

"Yeah, I did!" I smiled, even though his mom is my boss right now, and I'm leaving. It's only awkward if you make it awkward.

"Did you just want to teach high school?" Eric asked.

"Yeah, and it is closer to where I live." 

"And my mom is a bit much sometimes?" Eric mumbled.

"Hey," Mike snapped. "It's Mother's Day."

Eric and his parents have history. The last eighteen months have been up and down for their relationship. The fact he showed up today was progress... I think. 

"Your mom is the reason why I'm in Iowa," I told him, "so I am very thankful for that." It's better to say something nice about someone when people say crap about other people.

"She wanted you because you actually do work," Eric told me. "You could've done it on your own."

I didn't want to argue with him, so I didn't, but it would've been hard for me to get a job in the district I'm in without her.

"How are you doing with everything today?" Mike put a hand on my back. 

"Okay." I stared straight ahead. "How about you?"

"Eh, time heals things."

"It does. I think it's harder on Ava than me, ya know?" 

"No," Mike said, "I think it's harder on you, knowing the impact it has on her."

That was a deep thought. There was some truth in that. 

"The good news is that someone loves her unconditionally," Dan told me, "and I don't think it's ever been a question in her mind whether you really love her."

"I sure hope that's never been a question in her mind." 

After a few moments of silence, Mike asked, "So, are you excited for your new job?"

"Oh, yeah! Of course!" That doesn't mean I'm not nervous, but I'm excited to try something new.