Gave Ava Coffee

Sunday, May 19

I just want to make something very clear about yesterday's post: If I offended you yesterday, I will not apologize for anything I said. If you can't handle the fact that abortion is murder, then you're in pure denial and unable to admit that there is a problem. If PlannedParenthood is correct in saying that about 1 in 4 women get an abortion by the time they are 45, then we are literally murdering millions of people. In past genocides, people dehumanized the people that were killed. We must speak up for those who cannot speak. Every life is important. 

Anyway, on a light note, I made a parenting mistake today; I gave Ava coffee. Morgan wanted to grab coffee today, and Ava wanted to go with us, so I was like, "Okay," thinking that we'd get her a smoothie or something. 

But she was like, "What's a latte?" I let her try mine, and the she was like, "Oooo, I want one." 

The place we went to only offered 20 and 24 oz cups, too. It didn't even cross my mind until later that we should've ordered her a decaf latte. I mean, I think that's a thing, but I don't know that much about coffee. 

We decided it would be a good idea to go to the mall after this because Ava needed better summer clothes because she grew. She's over five feet tall, which is making me feel short. The kid will be fully grown in a few years. That's weird. She's as tall as some adults. 

While Morgan was shopping with her, I went to Target and got some clothes for myself, which was boring but productive. I hate shopping, but I knew that I had to be doing something productive if Morgan was willing to help Ava find good clothes. If I chose what Ava wore, she'd be wearing a nun's habit everyday. 

When Morgan and her were done shopping, I met up with them. Ava showed me every single thing she had gotten very excitedly. Morgan just looked at me, amused.

On the way home, after we parted ways with Morgan, Ava begged me to go to Taco John's.

"We have food at home."

"I don't like the food at home." Her words were quick.

"Well, I do, so that's tough."

"You're mean," she informed me.

"I know," I played. "Your life is so rough."

"Yeah, you don't get me Taco John's."

"Why do you need Taco John's?"

"Because it's yummy!" It was like she was talking about a puppy that she wanted.

"It's greasy and unhealthy. It is my legal responsibility to keep you healthy."

"Taco John's is healthy. Potato Olés are vegetables."

Laughing out loud, I told her, "They're not nutritious though, and we already went out today and got coffee."

"I don't know if I really like coffee," she told me.

"Yeah, me neither, but I drink it anyway."

"It made me have to pee."

"Me, too." I paused. "But too much information." 

She talked about random stuff for a few minutes, and it was kind of hard to follow her scattered thoughts, but then she asked, "Hey, is middle school hard?"

"Not if you do the work. If you don't pay attention or don't the homework, then yes."

"Is the homework hard?"

"Not if you do what you're told. Sometimes that means reading through textbooks, despite how boring that can be." 

"Why do we have to go to school?"

"Because you need basic knowledge of the world around you."

"Why can't Morgan homeschool me?"

"Because your friends would be sad."

"What if I don't have any classes with Paisley next year?"

"Then you will make other friends. Everyone will be new, so it won't really matter."

"What if I get lost?"

"You probably will like everyone else." Being honest seemed like the best way to handle this.

"Did you get lost on your first day of middle school?"

Laughing out loud, I shook my head. "No, but that was because I was in a really small school." 

"Will you teach me how to open my locker?"

"Yes. Of course. But you'll do fine."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, Ava, you're a smart girl. You'll probably have middle school down faster than anyone else."

Sighing, she nodded. "Okay..." 

I hope she sleeps tonight...