• Chapter Three •

"I still don't understand. How can Shadowhunters be better than what you people call mundanes?" Clary asked as she and the group returned to the Institute.

"Because we protect humans." Isabelle answered her.

Clary sighed and gave a sarcastic smile. "Right, humans..." She turned to face the eldest Lightwood sister. "You protect humans. You left Simon all alone in the van." She fired back. "Great job everyone! You're all brilliant." She rolled her eyes, sarcasm dripping in her voice.

"Can I kill her now?" Allison asked while glaring at the red head.

"There is some truth to the idea that human beings should have common sense." Alec said with a glare of his own directed at Clary.

Isabelle sighed at her older sibling. "Alec, not now."

Jace sighed, looking at Clary. "They won't do anything to Simon. They just wanted to draw you out. They want the Cup and they think you have it."

"Why does everyone think that?" Clary asked.

Everyone remained quiet, Alec and Allison giving her pointed looks.

Clary continued, "What? My Mom lied to me my entire life. What am I supposed to do now?" She sighed.

"We have to report to The Clave." Alec replied as he walked past, the rest following. "They have to know what we've learnt about Valentine."

Clary was beginning to get irritated and looked at Alec. "That he's my father?" She glared. "Tell them. What good does that do to Simon?"

"Its connected." Allison stood next to Alec. "The vamps want the Cup."

Clary gave her a look. "It makes new Shadowhunters, what's the big deal?"

The female Wayland sibling took a step forward with a cold gaze "Because no one wants your father to make an army loyal to himself."

"Plus it controls demons." Aaliyah spoke up for the first time since they've returned.

"We can propose a trade..." Jace caught everyone's attention, "Simon for the Cup."

"So vampires will trade Simon for the Cup and Valentine will trade my mother for the Cup. Either way I lose someone I love." Clary sighed.

"So this doesn't matter to you?" Alec folded his arms as he leaned against the wall.

"Of course it matters!" Clary snapped at him, causing Allison to move towards her with her fists formed only for Isabelle and Aaliyah to stop her.

"Look, when you saved my life I put my trust in you. Now I need you to put your trust in me. I can't turn into what you are overnight." Clary sighed.

"Its true," Isabelle nodded, looking at the red head "She was raised as a mundane."

"What, are you her spokesman now?" Alec looked at his sister.

"I don't need a spokesman," Clary glared at the dark haired male. "I need a plan." She walked off, leaving the five Shadowhunters behind.

"Now can I kill her?" Allison asked again.