• Chapter Eight •

"It just looks like a wine glass." Clary said, holding the Mortal Cup between her and Jace.

"That wine glass saved your life." Jace chuckled as he stared at her.

The red head then looked up at him. "What if I hadn't gotten the Cup out in time? What if that demon--" Jace cut her off.

"But you did. First rule of Shadowhunting: When something explode, just keep walking. Never think twice. Never look away." He said.

Clary looked up at him. "And what's the second rule?" She asked.

Suddenly, a crack of a whip sounded throughout HQ, the Mortal Cup flying out of their hands and into Isabelle's hand. Both Jace and Clary looked at the raven haired girl as she held it up with a smile.

"There's nothing a Shadowhunter can't do in heels." Isabelle smirked as she walked towards them.

Jace spotted his sister and walked towards her. "Ally, can--" He was cut of by the blonde female.

"Don't even think of talking to me right now. I'm still pissed at you." She glared at her twin with her icy blue gaze. "So I suggest that you either leave me alone and let me come to you on my own time or so help me, Jace Wayland, you will regret it. Choose your next step wisely." She threatened.

The eldest Wayland twin knew better than to anger his sister more. So instead he nodded and made his way to Alec who was staring at the monitor.

"Hey, what are you doing?" He asked and got no reply from the raven haired boy.

"You can stare at this monitor all you want but they need angel blood to get past the wards." Jace continued. "No Downworlder can come into the Institute."

"Not without an invite by a Shadowhunter." Isabelle added.

"Last I checked Valentine is a Shadowhunter." Alec said, finally turning away from the monitor. "The Cup is not safe here. We have to give it back to The Clave."

"Give it back to The Clave? No." Clary replied. "Not after everything we went through to get it."

"My brother is right." Aaliyah stepped into HQ for the first time since earlier that evening. "The Cup is extremely important." She continued as she walked down the stairs and over to the group.

"No, this Cup is the one chance I have at getting my Mom back." Clary protested.

"I agree with Clary." Jace said.

"Well, there's a shock." Allison muttered, rolling her eyes.

Sighing, Jace continued. "We can't give it to The Clave, at least not now. We need it." Alec looked at his best friend with no emotion. "It's our only bargaining chip."

Clary then stepped forward. "I know how important this Cup is. It has the power to create new Shadowhunters, control demons and can kill a mundane if they drink from it but I can promise you all that I won't let that monster get his hands on it." She said.

"There you go. You have her word." Jace looked at the four silent Shadowhunters.

Alec looked at his Parabatai before rolling his eyes. "Follow me." He said to Clary as he walked to the training room.

He crouched down and traced a rune on the floor, making a safe rise up. He then traced over another rune which opened it. He held his hand out to Clary who gave him the card containing the Mortal Cup.

"Alec, I realise I couldn't have done any of this without your help." The red head spoke. "I want to thank you."

Placing it in the safe, Alec scoffed softly. "Don't misread this as friendship. Since you've arrived, our whole world has been turned upside down." He said as he stood up, tracing the run on top of the safe to lower it once again. He looked at her before leaving the room.