8. Cupids And Catfights

OMG! After doing cafeteria duty for one hour the previous day, my whole body ached and I thought I would skip school and stay at home. But I just couldn't sit at home and do nothing! So I was back at school again.

Reyansh still hadn't told Mishti anything.

Two years ago, when I found out Varun had a thing for Mishti, I was like, okay, one guy was dealable.

But now two?

This was too much!

I mean, Mishti was our BFF but Zoya and I couldn't help musing over why both the guys were vying over Mishti!

And unfortunately for me, I was destined to witness Reyansh and Mishti 's confession session, that too in the chemistry lab.

Yes, chemistry lab!

God! That place is so unlucky for me.

The three of us were put together and I tried not to show my awkwardness.

But to my surprise, both of them did nothing weird.

Mishti was the dictator as usual, "Riya take the filter paper and the test tube. Reyansh dilute the hydrochloric acid. I will get the water."

Since I had no idea about the experiment, it was best to go with whatever Mishti said.

And suddenly Reyansh pulled it out of nowhere.

"Riya did you ever have a boyfriend before?"

"Uh.. What? No", I thought I knew what was coming next.

Just then the filter paper slipped from my hand and landed a few feet away. I ran to pick it up. When I came back sure enough...

"Why don't you have a boyfriend?" Reyansh was asking Mishti.

"Because I have strict parents", said Mishti darkly, "And why don't you have a girlfriend?"

"Because you have strict parents".

Mishti looked startled but turned slightly red.

I wished my filter paper had fallen further away. I tried to concentrate on the experiment and filter my solution in the loudest and most enthusiastic way possible, but unfortunately I could still hear every word they were speaking very clearly.

So it was official now but it was no surprise anyway! It had been evident for a long time that Mishti and Reyansh had liked each other. But still I couldn't figure out how I felt about it.

I had never imagined Mishti would be the first one out of the three of us to have a serious relationship! I had always thought it would be Zoya. At least until now.

I carefully placed the funnel on the stand but it toppled over the test tube and fell down with a crash and broke into pieces. The sound brought Reyansh and Mishti back to ground. We then started picking up the pieces and putting them on the table.

Fortunately the only chemistry, I had to see after that was that of sodium hydroxide and hydrochloric acid.

Now I had to nothing to worry unless of course, Reyansh and Mishti asked me to solemenize their marriage or something!

The next period we had PE and thankfully, Devika ma'am was held up, coaching the students who were entering for the interschool match, which meant the rest of us were free! I and my BFF'S found seats in the stands and started to chat.

"So you chose Reyansh over Varun?" I asked Mishti smugly.

"Shut up Riya. You know there was nothing between me and Varun! Ever!"

"But Varun is a cool guy too", Zoya piped in.

"So why don't you start dating him" I asked her.

"Maybe I will", said Zoya brightly "And Riya you can hit it off with Abeer. And then the six of us can go on triple dates! How cool is that?"

I smacked my forehead. "Babe, I think you left your brain back in the class", I told her. Zoya frowned.

By lunch break, our whole class knew Mishti and Reyansh were the new couple on the block.

After lunch, we had our first rehearsal and everyone was super excited. I caught up with Varun as all the Arts Club members made their way to the hall.

"Varun are you okay?"

"Why? What's wrong with me?"

"You know.. with Reyansh and Mishti dating now, I thought maybe you might be.."

"Jealous? Oh no Riya! It's cool! Reyansh is a cool guy. We're all friends here" he said, beaming.

"Oh alright then" I said, relieved "We'll go to the hall now. The rehearsal will start soon".

I stopped to go to the bathroom before to redo my hair and was at mirror, minding my own business when the last two people I wanted to meet right then - Aaliyah and Maya, walked in sashaying like the bathroom was a fashion runway or something.

"Did you just smell toilet bowl cleaner Maya? It's because there's an oversized bottle of Harpic in here".

OMG! I couldn't believe Aaliyah just called me an oversized bottle of Harpic!

I rolled my eyes at the girls, "Your terrible sense of humour and that eye blinding neon jacket of yours, together is giving me a migraine Aaliyah".

"Aaliyah is wearing that for her performance", Maya snarled at me, "I bet that idiot of your friend, Zoya will turn up in a cooking apron? That's all she'd be able to afford anyway".

"Shut up Maya. Or I'll oust you from the club", I snapped.

"Oh I am scared" Maya pretended to croak and then cackled like a witch.

To be honest, I didn't feel very comfortable standing there. It was two on one, after all.

"Anyway, Riya do your bathroom theatrics have an intermission? Because I have to pee", Aaliyah said.

I huffed and walked out of the bathroom without looking back. Those girls were impossibly VAIN!

However the first rehearsal went smoothly enough. Neither Aaliyah nor any of her clique tried any of their stupid games and I couldn't wait for the next one which was scheduled for next week!

A/N : Hey my lovely people! We're done with eight chapters now. So thank you for coming along so far. It means a lot, really..

And please don't forget to press the vote button before clicking through. Thank you so much ❤️