28. Right Upwards

It was only when I turned up at the mall that evening, I realised, I had totally underestimated, the difficulty of choosing a dress. I had wanted my mom to come along with me and help me choose a dress. But unfortunately my mom came with a free trouble package called Krish - the catastrophe.

Krish apparently wanted to buy a new outfit for the show too! Unfortunately for me, students from all classes could attend the DJ night.

How was I supposed to choose a dress with that bratty brother, howling and running up and down the stores, behaving like a three year old mentally retarded child?

Aaaargh! Why wasn't the show open only to high school?!

Eight stores, three floors and one migraine headache later, I had finally chosen a black cocktail gown and Krish had got his outfit which according to him had been inspired by Ranveer Singh.

He told me that he was going to perform Ranveer Singh's hook step from Ram Leela. The Poor guy! I mean, Ranveer Singh, not my brother!

It was almost ten in the night when we returned home. But inspite of my headache I hurriedly pulled out my gown, tried it on and sent a picture of it to Zoya and accidentally sent it to Mishti too.

Zoya immediately replied, "OMG! That thing looks fab!"

I hadn't expected Mishti to reply and sure enough.. she didn't.

Just as I was about to put my phone down, I received another text... from Abeer.

"Hey, Zoya sent me that pic! You look amazing! See you tomorrow."

Okay, the first thing I had to do tomorrow was to kill Zoya. And why was Abeer behaving like my boyfriend?

Anyway, I sent him a "Thank you", text and safely tucked away my dress and collapsed on my bed! There was one more important thing left to do. I and Zoya somehow had to make it up to Mishti the next day.

I couldn't believe how much drama had happened in the last few weeks. But I'd survived it. And I had back my Fine Arts Secretary badge too! YAY!

Next morning, I went to the parlour with Zoya to get our manicures and pedicures done. Both of us had agreed that we would specially apologise to Mishti before the show started.

Shreya came home early that day and went to Krish's room to play. My mom had agreed to drop both the kids at school at seven in time for the show. But I had to go to the school three hours earlier to get things ready. I had decided to change and do my make up at school.

I had all my things ready at two in the afternoon and was prepared to leave in an hour. Just then, Shreya came into my room. She wanted to do my hair for the show.

"Dheedhi I'll make your hair beautiful for Abeer".

For Abeer? So my bratty brother had told her!

I couldn't say no to Shreya. Hey! She might be my sister in law in some fifteen years. And what harm could a ten year old possibly do. So I said yes.

Shreya made me sit on a high chair and started brushing my hair. She then took a lot of bands and clips and tigethened my hair all over. My head was starting to ache.

Then I heard the whooshing sound of hair spray and that's when I suddenly started to panic.

"Shreya darling, give me the mirror", I said, trying not to show my panic.

She giggled nervously and handed me the mirror.

OMG! My hair looked like somebody had swallowed roadkill and umm.. color papers and puked!

I tried to control my nausea and removed away all those hundreds of clips she had stuck all over my hair and hurriedly grabbed a brush and started combing my hair frantically.

Shreya was standing behind the chair looking fearful and waiting for me to explode. I didn't want to torture the child. It wasn't really her fault.

Who I did want to torture was my brother! I was going to kill Krish for this!

After the show!

It was almost time for to me go but I had to shower! Again! I showered and shampooed like my life depended on it, changed and grabbed my things and came out of my room.

Mom and dad were sitting at the dining table with the lawyer. This was a big day. I really didn't have the energy to deal with the drama at home. But I just lost control all of a sudden.

"What? Is it over? Tell me it is", I asked losing my temper, though I had no reason to.

"Yes it is", my dad said, "We just withdrew our divorce appeal".

I stared at him.

"Uh..what? So it's not happening?"

Mom pouted at me and shook her head.

"Uh..okay. Okay", I said slowly digesting the big but brilliant news.

"So why don't you leave? You're getting late for school aren't you?" mom asked.

"Yeah. Right. I'll come back home and hug you guys", I said and hurried out of the house, carrying my bags, leaving the lawyer guy looking confused and smiling in spite of myself.

A/N : Hey guys! Only four more chapters and we're done. So please do keep reading! And don't forget to leave your vote.

See you in the next chapter! Lots of love.