25. Flight Of The Backstabber

Everybody was in an even duller mood the next day. We had gathered in the cafeteria for a final meeting. But it was more like we had gathered for a funeral.

"I still can't believe Reyansh did it" said Lisa heatedly to all of us, "But Reyansh is our enemy now. Anybody siding with him is our enemy too and that includes Mishti", she said dramatically.

"Don't talk about Mishti like that" I said coldly.

"Oh yeah? Go and back up your lovesick friend some more. One traitor is enough for this club! We can't deal with any more", she shot back at me.

I and Zoya looked at each other darkly.

"Actually you have to", I said.

Zoya turned to look at Varun, "Are you going to tell the others how you created this fiasco, yourself or should we do it?"

"Don't try to get away. You're a backstabbing loser!" I rounded on him.

Varun tried to look shocked for a moment, but failed miserably.

He then sighed and said "Okay smarties. You got me!" and simply threw his hands up in the air as if it was a thing to be very proud of, "But how did you do it?"

"Well we found out Reyansh was with Mishti on Wednesday evening. You were at Reyansh's house at that time weren't you? We found out, when we realised you went to Reyansh's home twice that evening. Once to take the keys and once to put them back. And you framed your own best friend. Sorry, Varun but your stupid plan is barely upto kindergarten standards!"

"Yeah this is the truth", I said looking at everyone who were staring in shock. "This double faced brute was the one who created the short circuit, stole the laptop and framed his own best friend".

"And we fell for it, like fools. We accused Reyansh for nothing!" I said guiltily.

"We all owe Reyansh an apology" Zoya said looking completely abashed. "I was the one who accused him first. And I can't believe I asked this loser to the dance. I'd be much better on my own."

Lisa looked shocked, "Oh God! We threw out the wrong person. And I bitched about Mishti too! I owe the her, an apology", she said guiltily.

"Then do it now!" said Zoya and called out "Mishti! Come in!"

The cafeteria door flung open and Mishti walked in dramatically.

Nobody asked how she had come there.

"Mishti I am really sorry", Lisa said quickly before anybody else could speak.

Mishti nodded but did not smile.

"Now tell us the busted reason for which you did this to us. Or is it just that you're a psycho?", I turned back to Varun and pulled his collar.

"I did it for Mishti"

"Whaaat?" I let go of his collar in shock.

"Because I didn't want Mishti and Reyansh to be together. I wanted that loser thrown out from this school. But you people wanted to be all virtuous and didn't want to do anything till your stupid show was over!" he bellowed.

"What do you mean you didn't want Reyansh and me to be together? Varun we've been just good friends for so many years", Mishti said looking baffled yet furious. Now what?!

"Oh just good friends was the last thing I wanted to be with you. I was desperately hoping you would ask me to the dance but instead that idiot Zoya did and you went away with that loser of a Reyansh", he said indignantly.

I recovered from the shock and pulled back his collar, "So you thought you could go and screw up the whole show for a crush on Mishti? We have come up together in school for so long! How could you do this to the show Varun?" I shouted at him, and the stress mounting from all the humongous drama of the last few days, finally gave way as I broke down.

"You really think I care about this primitive show and all the hype around it?! Oh yeah, you gave me the most prestigious honour of playing the guitar in that stupid orchestra and I had to be eternally grateful, didn't I?"

Everybody stared in horror.

"You botched up the whole show for the sake of a crush?!" cried Omkara, finally speaking up. He for once had completely lost his composure. "And you wanted an innocent guy thrown out of the school! This is insane!"

"I can't believe you did this Varun. You are so busted!" Mishti screamed at him. She was in tears now.

Omkara came forward, pulled Varun away from me and slapped him right across the face.

"Yeah, so now throw me out of the show. Report me to Loukya mam." Varun jeered shamelessly.

Another tight slap.

"This is too much! Omkara, we have to report this to principal sir", Lisa said sternly. To my surprise, she was not crying. She was very fond of Reyansh and maybe found it easier to accept that Varun was the culprit.

"Yes bhaiya. No waiting for the show to get over this time", I said angrily and led the way out of the cafeteria.

A/N : Hello guys. Thank you for coming so far :)

Please do leave me your valuable vote before going ahead.

Thanks and see you in the next chapter. Lots of love!