19. Bad Girl And The Badge

Almost all of that week most of the high school population bunked their class and hung out at the hall using practice as an excuse. So the hall had been unusually crowded for the past few days.

But rehearsal got further pushed away as the twelfth graders had their revision tests and it was now scheduled for after school hours. Just great!

I, Zoya and Mishti had skipped lunch and headed straight to the hall. So we were really hungry.

So mom placed an order from the nearby hotel for me and my BFF'S. Krish had to go and get it for me. He was not happy about the arrangement. And I half expected him to not turn up.

But he got us the chicken soup and the three of us totally loved it.

"Tell mom we had the soup and it was good" I told Krish as he was getting ready to leave the school ground. For once, he was leaving before me.

"And what about the fried rice?" Krish asked.

"Nothing by that name ever reached me", I answered suspiciously.

"Of course it didn't" he said, "I ate it up", and just walked away.

OMG! I couldn't believe my brother had eaten up the fried rice ordered for me!
I was going to kill him!

Soon, the rehearsal was about to start and Zoya started to turn pale. She still hadn't asked Varun.

"What happened to you?" Lisa asked Zoya as she came up to us.

"She is in a bit of a confusion", I said quickly.

"About what?" asked Lisa curiously.

"Well.. You know.. Umm.. This whole show thing.."

"What exactly is wrong?"

"I feel its getting to her nerves" I said foolishly.

Lisa frowned and rubbed her chin, "So you are nervous about the performance? But you dance brilliantly."

"It's not that.. " Zoya muttered but Lisa cut her across.

"You don't want to do Kamariya? Do you want to change the song? What about Ghoomar or maybe Ghar More Pardesiya?"

"Hey, what's going on?"

It was VARUN!

I nudged Zoya and Mishti looked at her encouragingly.

"Now!" I hissed at Zoya.

Zoya looked flabbergasted. "Varun will you come to the DJ night with me?" she asked quickly and then covered her mouth like there was a bad stench or something.

Varun looked startled for a minute and then grinned, "Okay".

I sighed in relief.

It was over. But I couldn't help noticing that Varun didn't look genuinely happy

Whatever..!

Lisa was looking baffled. "Can somebody tell me..?"

"It's nothing Lisa" Mishti said quickly, "Zoya is perfectly okay with doing Kamariya. Come lets start the rehearsal."

With Zoya's problem solved the three of us had a blast. Once the rehearsal was over, Omkara and Lisa left the hall after asking me to wrap up. But I had no plans to go home right then.

I called out to Rinky, the girl who was in charge of the sound system, "Babe, turn on the music".

Rinky turned on the system and played Coca Cola Tu from Lukka Chuppi. I removed my ponytail, let my hair down and started grooving with my BFF'S. Everyone started dancing and shouting like crazy.