Chapter Five: Saviours

I didn't look back.

My head was spinning. The more I drank the more rage coursed through me.

I'd ran out into the back garden and was currently sitting on some steps that led down onto an enormous and immaculate lawn. No one was out here and it gave me peace to drink without distraction.

Everything was tripling around me, and I strongly regretted not taking the ket with me tonight.

Despite my drunken stupor, I felt it when someone came out from the party and stepped out into the moonlit darkness.

I wanted to turn around and strangle them. I figured it would make sense for Josh to come out and pursue me once more.

Instead, as I sloppily turned myself towards the body, I was faced with George Lassalle.

"No." I slurred. "I don't want to speak to you."

He gazed at me curiously, and did not quirk a smile as I expected.

"Why's that Cassie?"

I sat frozen and looked deep into his studying eyes. I gulped loudly and turned away, taking a hefty swig of the rum I'd stolen. My head felt too heavy for my neck, as if it was going to anchor me to the floor.

"You're not my friend." I mumbled.

I fell forwards and intentionally put my head between my legs so the blood would flow better around it. The sounds of the party were drowning out around me. Buzzing.

I lay there on the floor - destroyed. Every ounce of innocence I ever held gone.

I was sore, all over. Everywhere, ever slither of my bare skin which he had touched stung raw.

"Cassie?" A husky voice called out from far away. "Do you want to be sick?"

Everything was becoming cloudy. But I was not going to leave consciousness yet. I needed to drink more first.

I hadn't forgotten it all yet.

"Nope." I murmured, my head still between my legs. "I'll do it later."

A hand found its way onto the back of my neck and shivers broke down my spine. Warmth caressed my insides and soothed an ache so old and so tired.

"We're not friends." I repeated, trying to sound stronger this time. He removed his hand and a coldness returned, but I preferred it that way.

"Okay, that's fair enough. We're not friends. But you're not in a right state to be out here by yourself." He replied, seriously. "You don't want your parents to pick up the newspaper tomorrow and see 'Teen dies choking on her own vomit' with a picture of your face do they?"

"She won't care." I whispered to myself. "I'm fine George. Please go away."

He ignored me and I was too drunk to fight him away. A moment of silence passed between us and I took several more swigs of rum. I could feel the booze sit in my stomach uncomfortably but I wanted the memories to just go away. I didn't want to feel pain all the time anymore.

"Did I do something to upset you Cassie?" George asked softly. I turned my head to look at him and saw genuine confusion on his face.

"Why are you friends with her?!" I snapped. "She's a monster."

I could feel the hatred spill out of me like water. I wanted to hit something. I wanted someone to hit me.

"Ah..." He sighed, understanding quickly. "Yeah, I was just wondering that myself actually."