Chapter Fifteen: Cramps

The next day was abysmal. I was suppose to be spending the night at George's but the knives planted into my ovaries were rendering me completely unsociable and I wasn't sure if he wanted to be around me like this.

My lower stomach was splitting as I stumbled down the corridor to my last lesson clutching my side as if that would make the pain go away. I had biology which was usually my favourite class but there was no way I would be able to do any sort of work in this much agony.

I decided to skip. I could catch up on notes another day when my uterus wasn't being attacked.

Staggering my way over to the nurse's office I pressed down on my abdomen and found that soothed my period pains slightly before I pushed open the door.

"Can I help you?" the nurse asked, her short brown hair in a friendly pixie cut.

"Can I lie down for a bit? My period is killing me." I muttered through sharp inhales.

It was beginning to be painful to breathe.

"Of course, sweetheart, come and lie down. I've got to have a quick meeting with the counsellor and then I'll be right back," she said and helped me slump down onto the bed and curl myself up into a ball.

The nurse quickly exited the room and left me whimpering like a beaten kitten on the bed. I began distracting myself by doing times tables or revising chemistry formulas for upcoming mocks. The school was not allowed to dispense pain killers so I downed a couple tablets I found in the bottom of my bag.

The nurse came back shortly, but by then the pain relief had kicked in and I fell into a deep nap.

"Cassie? Cassie darling, it's the end of last lesson. You can go home now," a voice awoke me and when my heavy eyelids fluttered open I was met by the friendly face of the school nurse.

"Oh, okay," I was locked in a daze, my vision disorientated and myself a mess. My period pains had seized a tiny bit; just enough so I could walk properly without wanting to collapse.

I swung my legs around the bed and pushed myself off, and quietly exited the room muttering another thank you to the nurse.

I let the crowd sweep me up as I heard the bell ring, a siren rattling my brain and knocking all sense of direction out of me. I clutched my bag and my side again as I was pushed through the flood of people and managed to make my way outside school doors.

The fresh air hit me and instantly I felt a sense of new life. Oxygen rushed through my nostrils providing breath for the sluggish feeling inside as I wandered over to the car park where I knew George was waiting by his car.

I'd explained to my siblings that George was tutoring me, and thankfully they'd asked no further questions. They, however, did not know he had slept over afterwards. I'd snuck him in the first time and snuck him back out the following morning. And as for when I stayed over at his house last week, I told Abi and Harry that I was staying at Quinn's.

It seemed like a complex and incredulous arrangement - and part of me held hope that they did in fact actually believe my lie.

As for Anna, when I was out the instruction was very clear. She needed to wait till the twins had got home before she snuck into the house and to the spare room. The backdoor key was hidden under a plant pot in the back garden which could be easily reached. With regards to food, I'd left her a potion of something or other in the fridge, but she could only go and get it once the twins were safely away in bed.

George was waiting for me in his car at the very back of the student car park as we'd arranged. I'd been adamant to make sure no one knew about these liaisons, so secrecy was key.