The Rest of Summer

"And what about school? You said seventh grade, indicating that there were more grades before that. How will I know all the information I am expected to know?" I ask, walking down the street with Goshi.

Goshi smiles patiently. 

"You will find that I have programmed you with all the knowledge a seventh-grader is expected to know prior to that grade. And I may have added a little more information than is expected." He replies, keeping his voice low so as to not let anybody who is passing by us hear.

"And why didn't I know that? I mean, why don't I automatically know what I am programmed with?"

"I didn't give you that information so that you can still learn, on some level, the way a human would."

I nod, accepting this answer. We continue to walk down this crowded street, talking in near-whispers so we aren't overheard. We have just returned from shopping for my school supplies, and are walking back to our house the long way so I can see the city and understand it better.

And so I can have more time to help my sudden burst of curiosity by asking Goshi many questions.

I look downward into the bags that I am holding. They aren't big, as they are only holding small things like pencils, scissors, notebook paper, and pens, but they are still heavy loads. 

Goshi tells me that these types of school supplies have been around for over a thousand years, and it fascinates me that objects as small and seemingly insignificant could have lasted for so many years. I suppose they're important enough to be kept in the world-wide view as essential, but it still mesmerizes me.

Maybe if they can be kept around that long, I can, too.

The rest of summer flies by in a blur. I wanted it to go fast, because school sounds simply amazing, but I'll also miss it. It was a fun time of me playing in the house, outside, and asking Goshi all the questions that were on my mind.

I am now free of questions. At least, for the moment.

It is now the last night of summer, and tomorrow I have been told that I will wake up early, pack my supplies in an electronic pouch, walk about a block from my house, and walk into the school known as Hilda Junior High School.

I am very excited, and as Goshi and I sit down for dinner, I am alight again with questions.

"How long does school go to?" I ask, stuffing my face with the lasagna roll-up that Goshi prepared.

"Hilda starts promptly at 8, and goes to 2:55. About the same times as middle-level schools did a thousand years ago."

Goshi always seems to have information about life in the 1900s and 2000s, and usually I would listen carefully these things, but tonight I couldn't care less.

"And what about classes? What are they? What's my schedule?"

"You know the classes, and you have your schedule already. If you need a reminder, then you can look it up. You do still have, don't you?" Goshi asks, peering over at me questioningly.

I nod, assuring him that I do indeed have my schedule.

"Lunch? What will I take?"

"Your E-pack can break down the particles of food that you choose to put in it, just as with your supplies, and when it is time for lunch, you regenerate the food and eat."

I keep asking so many questions, and Goshi answers them all patiently and quickly, each one making a grin reappear on his face. His answers all so smooth and effortless, until I get to the last one.

"Goshi, what about friends? How will I make them? Will I make them?"

Goshi pauses for a second, seemingly stunned by this question. I don't think he was prepared for it. Goshi sighs and puts down his utensils to look at me intently.

"Takyi, you can't put a scale on the level of difficulty of making friends. Some people make friends easier, and for some people its hard. It gets easier for some people as they grow, and for others it's a skill they never quite master. As I have said on many occasions, I want you to have the most human-like experience as possible. I programmed you with a certain personality that will determine your social skills, but I do want to tell you, as human beings have to discover that for themselves. They are not told." 

Goshi says this quickly. He pauses very little, as if he wants to get this conversation over with as swiftly as possible.

I wish I could know, but I understand Goshi's thought process, and I respect it. I want to feel like a human, and if that means that I have to discover this by myself, then so be it.

As I have many times before, I nod to show that I understand and agree. Goshi smiles a relieved smile, happy to be done with this so easily.

After that, we finish dinner with polite conversation. I don't ask any more questions, but we still talk, and our words are spoken with love and compassion, just as if a biological family were having a normal conversation.

Around 6:30, I wake up. It is a gorgeous morning, and the sun is already shining through my bedroom windows. 

I hop out of bed, excited. I rush to the kitchen, eat a quick breakfast, then head to the bathroom. I take a quick shower (water doesn't hurt me), and then brush my already glistening white teeth.

I brush through the thick, dark curls that make up my hair, and check my tan reflection in the mirror. I try to look normal; I try to look human, and I think I'm pulling it off.

It's about 7 when I finally put everything I need into my E-pack, say good-bye to Goshi, and begin the walk to school.

I know its early, and I know that the school building isn't very far from my home, but my eagerness got the best of me. I am so excited!

As I step out of the doorway and into the warm breeze, the sun hitting my back, I sniff the air, smelling delightful flower scents that have drifted to my nose with the wind. I am refreshed, and ready for school, so I take one step after another and begin the walk to Hilda.