Chapter 28

Top shook his head in mock humor at the unofficial couple sleeping soundly on his backseat. No one would have thought that a cutthroat businessman like him would have a sideline job as a driver for out of town trips. The things he would do for his friends. 

He took another quick glance at the dozing couple and smiled. It’s been almost two decades seeing them both always together and yet not together but now he got this feeling that things are going to change.  They were both sound asleep so he took the opportunity to park the car on a quiet road and snuck a few pictures to send to their secret chat group.

Dara’s head was resting on Jiyong’s shoulder. Jiyong’s head was lightly turned towards her. The cartoon figures on their shirts were almost also in the same position as the both of them except that they were lounging in a couch instead of a car. He was not a praying man but he took a quick moment to ask the heavens to give their blessings for his two friends before restarting the car and getting on the road.

When they were nearing the city, the traffic started to get heavy and he cursed Seungri again inside his head. He would have been resting on the front seat instead of driving by this time if the rat didn’t run off and leave him alone. 

In less than an hour he had finally parked in front of the best friends’ shared home. He cleared his throat loudly waking up Jiyong. Dara was still sleeping so Jiyong gently shook her awake. 

Her head lolled for a few moments before her eyelashes fluttered open. She sat up straight revealing a damp patch on Jiyong’s shoulder. She looked around momentarily disoriented. But then she realized they were home. She scrambled out of the car, “Stay put, Ji. Wait for Top and I to get inside and then I’ll help you inside the house.”

“Pfft.” Jiyong rolled his eyes at her. “I’m not an invalid. Last time I checked my legs are still working.” 

“Okay. Whatever. Suit yourself.” She spat back at him.

Top and Dara grabbed their bags and went ahead of him. Jiyong followed behind. Lagging a little. He didn’t realize how tired he was until now. He wasn’t going to faint again but his legs were telling him he won’t be running any marathons any time soon.

By the time he got to the front door Top was already on his way out. They gave each other man hugs. “Thanks, Hyung.” He told Top. Top smiled. “You’re welcome, Ji. Make her happy and you can count it quits between us. Don’t mess it up this time like you always do.” Top told him. Jiyong smiled sheepishly completely aware of how he would always bungle things up when it comes to taking the next step further with Dara. 

The rumors say he was the modern day example of a Casanova but none of them were true. The multiple dates he had were all blind dates arranged by friends and acquaintances. He would go because Seungri told him it would help Dara see how big of a catch he is when she sees how girls go gaga all over him. 

The last date he had was with the girl Dara scared off. His outings with Kiko didn’t count. They both were clear that they weren’t out on a date those times. He was a loser when it comes to wooing. It’s more than ten years already and he’s still stuck in friend zone. No matter how the ladies would swoon all over him the oblivious Dara would just snort at his chic and fashionable outfits when he goes out on those dates.

“Are you going to keep hugging each other in front of the door all day?” Dara’s snarky voice called out at the both of them. “I don’t want flies inside the house. Top, you either get out or get in.”

“I’m going, Dee.” Top pushed Jiyong away lightly and gave a small salute at Dara. He and Jiyong did a fist bump before he finally went out of the house.

Jiyong walked inside and sat on the couch. He was dog tired. Dara came with a steaming cup of soothing white tea and set it in front of him. “Here, drink this first while I prepare dinner.” 

He raised an eyebrow at her. “You’re cooking?”

“Why? Are you doubting my skills?” Dara also quirked an eyebrow at him. “Prepare to be amazed.”

“Pfft.” Jiyong couldn’t hold back his laugh. “I’ve been preparing for more than a decade to be amazed by your cooking and until now I’m still waiting.”

“Shut up. I know how to cook, you ass. I’m just easily distracted.” Dara reasoned. She would always burn food because she gets bored while cooking and would try to sneak in Kdrama time while she’s at it. So 9 times out of 10 she’d usually end up with burned, soggy or overcooked food.

Amazingly this time she did prove herself right. After less than an hour she brought in a tray two steaming bowls of chicken and rice porridge. She waited with bated breath for Jiyong’s reaction. The dish was cooked just right. The broth was well seasoned and the chicken tender. Jiyong nodded in approval. She sighed and smiled in relief and happiness knowing she cooked something edible this time. 

After their meal she burped shamelessly in satisfaction. Jiyong smiled fondly at her. She stretched up like a cat, turned the TV on for Jiyong who was curling up comfortably in the couch before getting on with the clean up.  

By the time she was done with the dishes, Jiyong was already snoring on the sofa. His neck was at an awkward angle so she gently woke him up so that he could transfer to his bedroom. Dara quietly followed behind him. 

“I’m okay. I’m just tired.” He turned back and reassured her.

“Okay. I’ll check on you later.” Dara told him before heading to her room to freshen up. She was sweaty from all the cooking.

Jiyong would usually take a quick shower before bed but today he was so tired. He barely had energy to brush his teeth, wash his face and change his clothes. He was asleep the moment his head touched his bed. 

A fresh-faced, pajama-clad Dara found him later curled up with his feet cold without any blanket as he was still lying on top of it. She managed to pull the blanket out without waking him up but when she pulled the covers over him he woke up and grabbed her hand. “Gajima, Ahjumma.” 

He scooted towards the center of the bed to make room for her. She didn’t budge but then he wouldn’t let go of her hand either. She sighed and sat on the bed. “Stay with me, please.” 

He pleaded at her with puppy dog eyes. When she made no move to lie down he told in a gruff voice. “This is my first request. You have to stay with me for one whole day.”

“That’s not possible, Ji. You know I have work.” Dara told him but she reluctantly lied down beside him. 

“No, you don’t. Chaerin called earlier when you were cooking. She said that she had asked for an extension of your leave from your department as you requested. Your chair said since you have not taken any of your mandatory annual leaves for the past 3 years you can take two weeks of absence.” He said while he gathered her small body close to him so he could cuddle.

“What? But I only asked for two more days.” Dara said incredulously. What was she going to do with those two weeks? She liked work. It takes her mind off pining over Jiyong. 

“Yes. What.” Jiyong muttered sleepily. “You have no work. I also have no work. I told the office I’m on sick leave.” Dara’s eyes rounded at his words. He never takes sick leaves. 

Unknown to Dara it was Jiyong who actually asked for the two weeks. It wasn't his habit to use his connections but he won a case for her department chair's husband and he used those to his advantage. Besides he knew the department would survive without her. He heard ftom CL that they have added new resident doctors.

She wanted to ask him again but he was already snoring softly by her side, his arms and legs encircling her like tentacles. She tried to get out of his embrace but he was not budging so she sighed in defeat and shifted to a more comfortable position as much as his limbs would allow, took the blanket to cover the both of them and slept as well.