Chapter| 5

My sincerest apologies. I understand just how overdue this is but this is exams week so please don't be mad. I also had like 4 chapter already done hug then I decided to change the plot slightly rendering them useless so......yeah. Enjoy, vote and comment! 😊🤗

Ps severely unedited

I look at him, as his eyes meet mine once again. My heart is racing, was this my future. I could tell his eyes held no hate towards me. I can't imagine myself with a vampire all my life. After what they did to her... I could never forgive myself if I let a vampire own me.

"What does it mean, us being mates?" I remained stoic, my face void of emotions. One thing I knew was that vampires liked to see their prey squirm in fear. Whatever this mate thing was I didn't like it.

He stood up from his bed, taking large strides towards me.

"Mates are two people destined for one another" he informed, running his hand through is floppy blonde hair.

I gagged, soul mates? "Is there a way to get rid of it?"

"What?" he asked furrowing his eyebrows.

I pointed to myself then him, "Us begin mates."

"And why would I do that?" he asked, confusing etched onto his face.

How could he not understand?. I certainly did not want whatever a mate was. A vampire for a partner is like spelling disaster in my blood.

"Because I'm human" I motioned to myself, " And your vampire." I threw my index finger towards him.

Taking my hands in his own, he smiled, "That doesn't matter. I will still love you, care for you. It's an instinct, it's a natural, primal feeling. And I know in time you'll do the same for me."

Giving my hand a squeeze he said, "We would be equal, 50/50."

The room seemed to go ice cold, like in the harsh tundra. I shivered, thinking about what he said.
I pulled my hands away, shaking my head.
What was wrong with him. The same person who sold me away, wanted me to be..his? My first issue was that he was a vampires - a beast that find pleasure in the death of others . I've seen it first hand. You'd think it would make me watch my mouth, but I guess not. All these emotions swarmed around me. Couldn't they see that all they brought was pain and suffering? The second issue that was just as pressing was the fact that I was supposed to belong to someone. Granted, I was a servant owned by the royal palace - but that was professional. Personally, I'm a free woman. 

I snared, forgetting my place, "If you think, I'll ever love you, care for you be the mother of your little vampire leech - then you're sorely mistaking. I've had it up to my head with you sick vampires."

He looked at me, taken aback, "Don't you think that's unfair, that you're being unreasonable?"

Red hot anger flowed through my veins, "Unreasonable!" I shouted. "I don't even know you!"

I wanted to hold in a laugh, it was comically honestly, "For years I've lived in constant fear of your monsters. I watched how you tore families apart, and yet you don't care. You work in an auction house where you sell living breathing people as a commodity."
I took another step towards him.

"So, I can never love you." I hissed.

His eyes swirled with a frenzy of emotions.

"I'm sorry you feel this way." was all he said as he shoved his hands into his pocket before leaving.

I looked down, realising I my arms were trembling. Never had I felt such emotions. After what happened to Jessica, I couldn't think. I just went with whatever happened. I never processed what happened. I stumbled over to the corner of the room, crawled up into a ball and wept. Vampires were truly monsters and now I was destined to love one.

****
2 months ago

I sat on the tree branch, my legs swinging back and forth. The wind jostled through the leaves. I had a bright grin on my face, as I looked down at Jessica, who was trying to find me.

"Come on!" she whined, "Help me out here."

I bit my lip, trying to stop myself from laughing. Jessica hated this.

Today I was teaching Jessica the important skill of learning how to track something down. She shivered in her light jumper, as the wind blew softly.

She was 13, only 5 years younger than me, but I knew she had potential. She was well had of the other girls her age and therefore I had to increase the toughness if our lessons.

We use the skills we learn to forage for food. Since we are hiding in camps, the market and shops are closed for us, so needed to learn to survive on our own.
"You need to learn how to track someone down." I shouted.

Jessica immediately looked up, skimming the trees trying to find me.

"You never know when a vampire attack could happen," I shouted again.

She rolled her eyes, mimicking me, "blah blah blah, I'm Ira and I'm so smart."

I raised an eyebrow. Looking around me I grab a pine cone and hurl it at her.

"Ouch!" she hissed, rubbing the spot on her arm where I hit her.

"How haven't you found me yet? " I teased.

Jessica stomped her foot like a child, her arms folded in front of her.

"Maybe if you weren't such a -"

That's when we heard it. A loud scream. From my vantage point,t I could see them, rounding up my community. I could make out the flames as they engulfed where I lived, spent my life. I jump down from the tree, grabbing Jessica arm. Her eyes are wide with fear.

"We need to go," I whispered.

Her face contorted in disagreement, "We can't leave them." she cried.

I shook my head, "We have to go now."

I tugged on her arm, trying to get her to move but she took it away.

"They are family." she pleaded, tears in her eyes.

I looked behind her, seeing the flames erupt higher into the sky. I could make a silhouette, we needed to leave now.

I looked back at Jessica, my face cold, "Don't be so selfish." I hissed.

"What?!" she said surprised.

"You think they're alive. They're dead. Gone. Murdered! And you want to play the hero? Get over yourself! We need to go." I growled.

I stared at her, tears fell down her face. Looking back at the flames,
she nodded. "Fine."

It broke my heart, but I needed to leave or else I would end up like them.

We ran fast, the sound of footsteps behind us, thundering like the hooves of a stallion. We were their prey.

We barely managed to escape, narrowly missing a cave. We huddled there, together. Jessica was like my sister, my only family left. And I vowed to protect her until my dying breath.