BEFORE| 23

A/N
Happy international women's Day!!. I've been sooo tired this past month but we move on. We are almost at 50k wtf?!? Thank you for everything you guys are the best. Vote and comment, they make the updates come faster :)

I also have another book so please check t out and vote!!
Love you 😚

Kronos/ Princely's POV

5 Years Ago

"She could still be alive you know," Lyka said quietly.

Lyka and Kronos were in the study, the quite room was dark save for the fire that crackled in the hearth. Lyka sat in the large seate in her nightgown and Kronos was in a leather armchair, a glass of scotch in his right hand, his hair tousled to the side messily - a side effect of the sleepless nights.

Kronos scoffed, downing the alcohol in his glass. It did little to quell his anguish. He had become numb to its the effect and it tasted merely of flavoured water. He leaned back into his leather seat, staring his optimistic friend in the eye.

"She's dead. If she was alive she would have been here" he paused looking down at his feet, " With me." He almost sneered, reaching for the decanter and pouring himself another glass, "But now, because of her mother, the vampiric race may very well go extinct - the human race too."

"You shouldn't say that," Lyka said, her arms folded over, the notion making her uncomfortable.

Kronos threw his arms over the back of his chair and rolled his eyes, "It's true. That wretched woman took her from me." He clenched his fists in anger, "It's sad she died before I got to her."

Lyka nodded at that, "She successfully managed to ruin the entire world just because she couldn't come to terms with your existence."

He snorted, "She had always hated me, I could tell from the minute she first met me as a child, but I would never guess that she would do something so...so -"

"Drastic?" Lyka offered.

"Drastic." he nodded, "Humans have had an agreement with vampires for millennia - vampires will stay hidden as long as the next royal can marry their human mate. It's that simple. Yet the hag decided that her foolishness was worth the death of countless humans."

Lyka looked down at her fingers, " It's unfortunate that so many had to die. So many were innocent."

Kronos shrugged, "Don't blame me. She knew the consequences of breaking the agreement. Vampires need a queen. Without her, our primal side takes over. And that's exactly what happened."

"Do you think....that you could ever choose another queen?' Lyka asked quietly, "That you would be able to love another woman?"

Kronos looked outside the window that was to his left. The heavens had opened the flood gates and the area was covered, their region had seen heavy rains recently. He returned his gaze to his friend.

"Rilla is the only woman I know. The only one I want to know. I have made peace with the death of my people and yours. There is no point in trying to change that. I must live out the rest of my life in pain and once I'm gone, the earth as we know it will cease to exist."

The room became silent. the sting of Kronos' words lingered in the air. They held a finality to them. The ending was inevitable. He took a large swig of his drink before leaving, slamming the door behind him. Leaving Lyka and the rest of the world forsaken.

There was a knock on the door, Lyka turning to face her friend, "Who is it?"

"Johnson," he mouthed with an eye roll, "Come in," Kronos called, reaching for the now empty bottle of scotch.