Backround

Maisy's POV
Running. Running is what I'd been doing for the past year. I'd made it all the way from Nebraska to the Big Apple before child services got me. Which is how I ended up in the office of a social worker preparing to get hauled off to an orphanage, or foster home or whatever.
See, my parents were dead. There was no other way to put it. They died when I was 12. I'm 14 now.
The social worker lady snapped her fingers in my face. My head snaps up.
"As I was saying, you will be sent to Creavence home for children in Queens," the social worker lady told me.
"Cool," I replied desperate to get this over with.
"And you will attend highschool at Midtown highschool as a freshman."
This I was looking forward to. I loved learning. I was not to brag or anything really smart, and being on the run I couldn't attend school.
15 agonizingly long minutes later we rolled up to a nice looking building reading in fancy lettering Creavence home for children. It didn't look like a total nightmare, and I still didn't want to be there, but I figured, hey anything is better than sleeping in an alley and eating out a garbage can. Besides I promised myself a long time ago that though I'd do my best to avoid child services, but if I did get caught, I wouldn't run.
So, without another word, I stepped inside and didn't look back.