Training

Peter's Pov (finally)

3 weeks after finding out about Maisy

I sat with Ned and MJ in the cafeteria. I had a slightly bloody nose and my eye was beginning to turn black. All courtesy of Flash Thompson.

"So, Loser," MJ said not looking up from her book, "Where's Maisy?"

I was glad MJ was asking about Maisy. That meant she liked her. They got along well, both strong women who liked drawing. Maisy got on with Ned too, but better with MJ.

"Sick," I said, "Cold."

"Aw," Ned replied.

"So since she's not here, you guys sure it's okay she joined the group," I asked.

"For the last time, Peter, we enjoy Maisy's company. She's like you. You can't help but like her," Ned assured me.

"Yeah," MJ agreed, "I like having another girl here."

My phone buzzed, and I looked to see it was Maisy.

Birdbrains; We still on for training this afternoon?

Arachnikid; Maisy, you're sick

Birdbrains; Nah, that's just my cover. I'm ditching, sorta

Arachnikid; What?!! Where are you?

Birdbrains; Look out the upstairs boys' bathroom window

I turned to my friend and said, "I gotta go." I walked out of the cafeteria, but my spidey senses were going off like crazy. I knew Ned and MJ had followed, but I waited until I was on the second floor to call them out. 

"I knew you were behind me the whole time," I said without turning around.

MJ mumbled something about stupid spidey senses, and she and Ned emerged from behind a trash can.

"Where were you sneaking off to, Parker?" MJ questioned.

"Hold one second," I said whipping out my phone.

Arachnikid; Hey is it okay if Ned and MJ come too

Birdbrain; Sure bound to find out eventually

I turned to my friends and said, "Come on. You're gonna wanna see this," and then led them into the boys' bathroom.

Sure enough, I was greeted with a certain platinum blonde magic (which is what we were calling Maisy instead of enhanced since she wasn't technically enhanced by anyone) with a goofy smile plastered on her face hovering 20 feet above the ground, outside the boys' bathroom window.

"Maisy, get down from there," was all I could say. Any other time I would have scolded her for being exposed and still doing magic, but the alley behind school was permanently deserted, and I trusted that she scoped it out first.

She opened the window with a wisp of silver and slipped inside. Ned and MJ were standing there gaping like fishes.

"Close your mouth," Maisy said, "Or you'll catch flies."

MJ was the first to respond. She said, "So, you too, huh."

Maisy nodded.

"So, are you a superhero?" Ned asked.

"No," Maisy responded, "Not yet, but I'm training to be one."

"Cool, do you have a name yet?"

"Canary," Maisy said and I could tell she was grateful they didn't press her on the name. I made a mental reminder to ask her why she chose it later.

"So," I said, "Where have you been."

"On the roof," she replied as though it was the most normal thing ever. "I was using my super hearing to go to class without having to deal with people."

"Oh," MJ said and was about to ask another question but the bell cut her off.

"You guys should get to class," Maisy said. She hopped out the window and disappeared most likely back to the roof.

Time skip to training                                                                                                                                                      

We trained directly after school in an old SI warehouse that I had access to because of my internship, which I had still hadn't told Maisy about. I was thinking about actually getting Tony to offer Maisy an internship. She was definitely smart enough. I would ask him about that tonight as that was where I was heading after this.

Maisy walked in cutting off my thoughts.

"Hey Mais," I greeted.

"Sup."

She was wearing her suit that she and I had worked on last week. It was grey and silver. It was simple, kind of like Black Widow's suit. The only thing special was the silver band around her head like a crown. She had a simple grey mask as well that covered her eye area. It wasn't the best at concealing her identity but it did the job.

I wore my suit just without the mask. Maisy set her mask and crown thing, which had been her idea, on the folding table we'd set up.

"First thing we'll do is spar for a warm-up," I told her.

We walked to the mats and got ready. We'd without powers because powers wouldn't be fair. Well, we tried to, but spidey sense isn't exactly something you can turn off, and neither is Maisy's enhanced endurance. We tried to be light with our punches too but we both had super strength that accidentally slipped in sometimes.

Even without her powers, Maisy was an incredibly good fighter, no Natasha Romanoff but close. Whenever I asked her where she learned to fight, she said on the streets, but there had to be something she wasn't telling me because no street fighter was that good. Even with my spidey senses, she pinned me in 10 minutes flat and looked unscathed. I, on the other hand, was going to have some bruises near my ribs.

"Did I hurt you?" Maisy asked as she helped me up.

"Just a couple bruises, I'll be fine. It's not your fighting we have to work on that's for sure," I said with a groan.

"Maybe, we could work on controlling the ergokinesis," she said sounding hopeful.

"Okay," I agreed. 

So together we spent the next hour or so carefully lifting objects with energy and even move on to some target practice. We had to use boards of wood though because whenever I brought out the human-like dummies, Maisy would lose control and start to panic. She said it reminded her too much of her past and I didn't press her.

Finally, we decided to call quitting time. We sat in some folding chairs and relaxed for a few moments. Then I asked her, "Why,  Canary?"

She looked startled for a moment but said, "When I was little, I wanted to be a bird so I could fly away. My home life wasn't the best. Goodnight Peter." Then she walked out and flew off.