Hoggywarts

One day, a scorpion looked around at the mountain where he lived and decided that he wanted a change.

So he set out on a journey through the forests and hills.

He climbed over rocks and under vines and kept going until he reached a river.

The river was wide and swift, and the scorpion stopped to reconsider the situation.

He couldn't see any way across.

So he ran upriver and then checked downriver, all the while thinking that he might have to turn back.

Suddenly, he saw a frog sitting in the rushes by the bank of the stream on the other side of the river.

He decided to ask the frog for help getting across the stream.

"Hellooo Mr. Frog!" called the scorpion across the water, "Would you be so kind as to give me a ride on your back across the river?"

"Well now, Mr. Scorpion! How do I know that if I try to help you, you wont try to kill me?" asked the frog hesitantly.

"Because," the scorpion replied, "If I try to kill you, then I would die too, for you see I cannot swim!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Harry was mystified as they rode the boats across towards the castle; the stars reflected over the water and the lanterns provided just enough light to see the boat in front of them. Wings flapping caused him to look up just in time to see carriages pulled by strange dark horses fly over them; he frowned, contemplating and curious about the creatures.

"Thestrals." Marcus murmured in his ear. The fourth year had followed his gaze and looked at the equestrians flying above them. "They can only be seen by those who have seen death."

Light eyes met dark and Harry looked away, keeping his secrets his own; unbeknownst to him, Marcus smiled slightly and looked back up at the sky.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now this seemed to make sense to the frog.

But he asked. "What about when I get close to the bank? You could still try to kill me and get back to the shore!"

"This is true," agreed the scorpion, "But then I wouldn't be able to get to the other side of the river!"

"Alright then...how do I know you wont just wait till we get to the other side and THEN kill me?" said the frog.

"Ahh...," crooned the scorpion, "Because you see, once you've taken me to the other side of this river, I will be so grateful for your help, that it would hardly be fair to reward you with death, now would it?!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When they reached the shores, an older woman dressed in dark blue robes and a traditional witches hat stood awaiting the incoming students. She had a regal persona that reminded Harry of Mrs. Malfoy, but it was slightly softer.

"Second Year through Seventh are to follow Professor Snape and Professor Sinistra to the Great Hall to be seated for the feast. For those of you joining us for your first year here.... Welcome to Hogwarts!" She gestured widely at the grand castle and smirked at the young witches and wizards. The other two professors rolled their eyes at the older woman's antics and gestured for the older students to follow them into the castle; Marcus brushed a hand across Harry's shoulders as a goodbye gesture and nodded at the group.