D.O.M

Date: October 26th, 1991/ Ministry of Magic

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Ministry was oppressive to Harry- the large, dark building was always seemingly looming over them, leering at them and suppressing their magic. He knew that wasn't the case, but it didn't stop the shiver that went down his spine every time he went there. Harry grimaced in discomfort as they walked inside, swallowing thickly as they were met with witches and wizards and goblins all running around and talking, flooing and apparating in and pushing them to get through. He closed his eyes briefly, to block out the noise, and felt a hand on the nape of his neck. Looking up, he met Draco's eyes and grinned softly.

"Don't focus on them, reign in your magic and focus just on us." Draco whispered to him, pulling Harry into a hug; partially to comfort and partially to hide him. The group circled them loosely, watching and guarding as Harry pulled himself together.

He swallowed again and nodded his thanks. "I'm alright, just a sudden feeling, you know?" Draco nodded and ruffled Harry's head, the beads and metal jingled together.

"What did your mother tell you to do when we got here?" George asked, tossing an arm around Fred and leaning into him. Fred followed suit and wrapped his arm around George's waist.

"We're just supposed to wait for her familiar, Morgen, or one of the D.O.M messenger birds. They're locked down right now, so we can't exactly take the lift or floo without a password." Hadrian replied, smoothing his wild hair back down. Loud wingbeats and gasps from the crowd alerted the small wizard of Morgen's arrival.

Glancing around, he saw that his friends were equally in awe at the sight of the large bird. He put his fingers to his lips and let out a piercing whistle, getting the bird's attention, and held out his hand to allow her to perch on him. Her copper feathers glinted in the low light as she angled them downwards and swooped in on them; Draco moving a couple feet back, so as not to get hit with a large wing.

"I forgot how big she was." He muttered and snorted when she let out a pleased kree, before nipping and grooming Harry. "Such a mother hen."

"That's Morgen?" The twins exclaimed together, hands itching to touch the fierce looking predator.

"A Lamagier, unexpected choice for a familiar." Marcus commented, reaching out cautiously to stroke the feathers at her breast. Morgen preened under the attention and trilled softly.

"Bloody hell, Hadrian, how are you so calm right now?" Ron asked, a scared expression on his face. He could swear that bird was looking into his soul with its creepy red eyes. Blaise rolled his eyes and cuffed him on the shoulder.

"He grew up with him obviously." Theo mentioned quietly, tucking his new book in his side bag.

Harry grinned cheekily and butt heads with the large bird. "Shall we go then?" He asked her knowingly. She let out a soft trill and bobbed her head, lifting her wings slightly to let him know that she was ready to lead them down to his mother.

"Where did your mother ever find such a bird?" Hermione asked, sidling up to his right side. Ron was just on the other side of her, with Draco on his left and Marcus beyond him, the twins, Blaise, and Theo conspiring together behind them. Their own little unit.

"Africa. Morgenstern, or Morgen as we call her, was one of the offspring of her Mother's own familiar. They're notoriously hard to gain trust of, very skittish." Harry answered, stroking the long feathers of the large bird.

"Fascinating." Hermione gushed, looking a bit starry eyed at the bird. Morgen turned to her and chirped, extending her neck to nip at her coily hair.