01. The Sorting

It was a warm morning in early September and Platform 9 ¾ was crowded with students ready to go and start the year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Feeling just as nervous as the new first years were two teenage girls. Although they were going to be joining Hogwarts as fifth years, this was their first year at the school. It wasn't often that students were transferred in so many years late but the headmaster, Professor Dumbledore, had made an exception.

None of the other students knew any of this, but they could see that these two girls were new and were curious as to why they were starting at Hogwarts so late.

"Tee, everyone's staring at us," the taller girl said nervously. She had waves of brown hair that reached down towards her waist. Her eyes were frosty blue and her pale skin was broken by a light spray of freckles across the bridge of her nose.

"Don't worry, Rose. It's because we're just so damn popular," joked Tee. In contrast to her much more graceful friend, Tee's hair was short and cut in an asymmetrical style with a long side fringe that was constantly falling across her face. She often dyed her hair, so it was currently a dark shade of red. She wore a pair of tiny frameless glasses.

Rose smiled. Tee always tried to cheer her up.

"Just ignore them," Tee reassured. She glanced over Rose's shoulder. "Oooh, check it out. Fittie at two o'clock!"

"Where?" Rose turned around. She spotted the guy Tee was watching just as he properly turned towards them, revealing the cigarette in his hand.

"Yuck, smoker... Forget it." Tee made a face.

"Just not hot at all then now?" laughed Rose. She knew how much Tee hated smoking. She didn't like it much herself, but she wasn't quite as outspoken about it. That was usually the case between them.

Tee shook her head violently. "Kissing someone who smokes would be like licking the inside of an exhaust pipe."

As soon as she said it she realised she'd said it too loud. Firstly for the fact that the boy gave her a dirty look, and also because she heard an appreciative laugh from behind her. She looked over her shoulder and the guy who was stood there smiled at her. She returned the smile before turning back to Rose.

"I think you've made a friend," laughed Rose.

"And possibly an enemy as well." Tee inclined her head towards the smoker, who was still watching them. "Let's move away a bit." She glanced back over her shoulder again, but her apparent 'friend' had already disappeared into the crowd.

Just as they were shuffling away, the train rolled into the platform and hissed to a stop. Eager to avoid the throng of people getting on, Tee and Rose hurried to the door so that they could try and beat the crowds. When they were safely on board, they quickly found themselves an empty carriage. Tee happily sat down but Rose remained standing.

"I'm gonna go find the toilets," she told her friend.

"Are you alright?" asked Tee, concerned. Rose looked even whiter than usual.

"Yeah, just... the pill's kicking in," Rose explained.

Tee nodded understandingly. "You want me to go with you?"

"No, it's okay. Just save me a seat," Rose smiled.

Tee smiled back sympathetically. "Okay."

As Rose left the carriage, Tee stretched herself out and lay down across the three seats. She pulled her iPod out of her pocket and fixed her headphones in. She knew that electronic devices that Muggles used didn't work at Hogwarts, so she wanted to make the most of her music while she could.