03. Fitting In

When they got inside, they found that the desks had all been moved and stacked up at the edges of the classroom. Their classmates were starting to group around the front where Professor Lupin was stood next to a large black wardrobe, which kept giving a violent shake every minute or so.

"Good afternoon, class, I'm Professor Lupin," he introduced, once everyone seemed to be there. "If someone at the back there would just like to close the door for me... Thank you. Now..." he surveyed them all. "I've heard that your past few teachers have not been entirely... sufficient."

"Deficient, more like," muttered George.

"So I've been planning ahead," Professor Lupin carried on. "And I've decided to dedicate most of this school year to the defence against dark creatures. I'll also be using a similar lesson plan for some of the other years."

Some of the class whispered quietly to one another. Obviously everyone was quite interested in these dark creatures that Professor Lupin was promising them.

Professor Lupin gestured towards the wardrobe on his left, which rattled on cue. "Can anyone tell me what is inside here?"

Again, the class started whispering to each other. "It's a Boggart," piped up a girl with dark pigtails.

"Correct," smiled Professor Lupin. "Now as some of you know, a Boggart takes on the form of what it assumes we fear most. Does anybody know the way to defeat a Boggart?"

This time, the class was silent.

"No matter," said Professor Lupin, unconcerned by the lack of response. "The incantation to use against a Boggart is 'Riddikulus'. Whilst saying the incantation, you must imagine a form that the Boggart could be forced into that you would find amusing. Now I'd like you to all have a think about it and then you can take it in turns to face the Boggart."

All around the classroom, people started asking their friends, "What are you most scared of?" There was more discussion as they were trying to decide how best to conquer their fears.

Tee whispered something to Rose. Rose protested a bit, but then allowed herself to be pulled over to talk to Professor Lupin. Tee explained to him about Rose's illness and how this kind of thing may be an overexertion. There was nothing more tiring than fear itself. He nodded and allowed her to be excused from the task, though Rose looked a little embarrassed by it. Tee hesitated, tempted to ask if she could be excused as well, but knew that her reason wasn't good enough.

"What was all that about?" asked Fred.

"I told Professor Lupin about Rose and he said that she doesn't have to face the Boggart," explained Tee.

"Tee's come over all protective again," added Rose, though she couldn't help smiling.

The twins smiled sympathetically. Tee and Rose were both so different – Rose was sweet and good-natured, whereas Tee was loud and teasing - but they were clearly both extremely caring when it came to each other. Tee didn't seem quite loud now, however. In fact, she was uncharacteristically quiet.

Rose gave Tee a nudge and said quietly, "Are you worried about facing the Boggart?"

Tee nodded slightly but then shook her head. "I'm not really worried about the Boggart... I'm just gonna feel stupid."

Fred, who couldn't be doing with people whispering, had been listening in and said, "What are you gonna feel stupid about?"

But before either of them could answer, Professor Lupin had gotten everyone's attention again. "Okay, if you'd like to form a line here and you can all have a go at facing the Boggart. Remember, the word is 'Riddikulus'. Don't be too worried; I'll be here to step in if anything goes wrong."