thirteen

"hey! how can i help you?" a man who seemed to be about fifty stood behind a desk in the center of the room. "the next film starts in about an hour so you could come back then or just wait."

"actually that's not what i'm here for, i was wondering if i could apply for a job?"

the man smiled displaying a row of shiny white teeth. "of course, right now it's just me and i couple high schoolers so i can use all the help i can get. you'll probably need to work long hours cause i don't have anyone else to work the desk so i hope you're ok with that."

"yeah of course." daniel set him a smile in return.

"well then i'll have you run a trial run today to see how it's goes but if all goes well, you're hired."

daniel's smile grew wider, maybe things were working out after all.

"i'm gonna go and check to make sure everything is working in the theaters so just go ahead and get yourself situated."

he gave the man a small nod before slipping behind the counter. it was everything that daniel could've ever dreamed of, the smell, the feel, everything.

the building had been decorated to make it look like a vintage movie theater, the walls were lined with old movie posters and it smelled strongly of fake butter.

he loved it. so daniel set about, cleaning the counter and getting himself situated. this was his new heaven.

when the man finally returned daniel flashed him a small smile before slipping out of the small booth. "im sorry, i forgot the ask your name."

"oh, it's ray." the man shook daniel's hand before he headed back to the counter.

the rest of the day he began to demonstrate how things were done there. soon daniel found himself getting the hang of things and quickly he fell into a sort of rhythm there.

just as a strange of costumers walked in ray's phone rang causing the man to move away from the counter. "daniel, can you deal with this? it's my son and he only really calls when something important is going on." he gestured towards the caller id on his phone.

"of course. just let me know whenever you want me to leave." he flashed the man a final smile before turning to help the people buy the tickets.

the brunet found himself finding a peace at the theater. he enjoyed the simplicity of it all and he began to think about this small little job as the start of his new life.

as the day ended and he pulled the small apron of his body daniel found himself perfectly content. he waved goodbye to ray as he headed out the door thanking the older man for a perfect day.

as he strolled down the small streets he found his eyes moving once more to the sky. the bright colors of the sunset painted above him left a pattering feeling in his heart and daniel couldn't help but find himself stopping.

it didn't matter that he was standing the center of the sidewalk or the fact that he probably looked like an idiot. he found himself just standing there for awhile, just taking the moment.

little did he know that inside the very theater were he had been just an hour ray stood on his phone. as he talked with his son he kept his eyes trained on daniel, making sure the boy didn't do anything stupid.

"listen corbyn, i'm sorry that happened but i've never met the boy before. how am i supposed to know who he is?"

he waited a second as the boy on the other end spoke again. his stress flooded through the phone and for a second way felt a little bad. but then he pushed those thoughts to the side and instead began to speak once more.

"if i see him of course i'll tell you but i doubt that'll happen. good luck corbs," and with that ray besson hung up the phone.

-
this was short and shitty and i haven't updated in forever so i'm sorry for all of that