CHAPTER 1 | Acknowledging The Past

Honestly, I couldn't even remember my name.

I stared at my petite figure through the spotless mirror. The change was unbelievable. Had it only been 2 years? I try on my old high school uniform, now ten sizes too big for me. What were they all going to say? That I had surgery done? Can I honestly live with them asking me that? Do I really want to go back and face all of them? My old friends and the people who never really cared...

I let out a sigh before discarding the uniform to the bottom of my cupboard, disgusted of it but not yet brave enough to throw it away. If I go back, will I still be me? Or will I be a whole new person?

I plop myself on the edge of my bed, thinking.

My name is Jennifer Topaz. Two years ago, I went to Brooks High. I was a short sighted midget with bed of constant naturally platinum blonde dyed black hair –for less unwanted attention- can never be compared to any of the other girls' with their perfect blow-dried overflowing blonde to brown to whatever coloured hair that existed. I was invisible with only a handful of friends. Most friends with me out of pity more than liking. Although, I was lucky enough to have one faithful one, Alex Thompson.

But I haven't spoken to her ever since I left. She tried reaching out but honestly, I just wanted to forget everything. And unfortunately, that meant her as well.

I was the victim of many pranks and to my disgust, I kind of enjoyed it because if not for them, I wouldn't have had any attention besides what Alex gave me. I was an outsider with the power of invisibility. Although, one girl always had me in her sights.

Chloe was the most popular girl then, I don't know about now. Most girls envied her because most guys wanted the opportunity to take her out. She was blonde, mean and despite being short, was taller than me and has hated me for reasons I still don't know. I was the victim of her rants and Hunter Blake was the target of her affection. Like most overly dramatic steamy novels and movies, Hunter was the school's most sought after boy. He was tall, black haired and was just learning his potential in the sports fields. He had the most striking blue eyes if I remembered correctly and his hair was usually short and he was quite the looker in high school.

Maybe he isn't anymore but who the hell knows?

I've never spoken to him to remember what his company was like. He was always there when people –mainly Chloe- pulled pranks to me. He was always in that crowd who laughs at me but he never laughed. Neither did he care. He just seemed bored.

I left Brooks high to attend Yale; the only among the children in my school admitted to an Ivy League university except for one other who has asked the principal to leave their name anonymous on the school's board of most accomplished students. Not that anyone looks at it. I should know, my picture used to be pinned on it.

Now, speed forwarding 2 years later, I was different.

I've had a growth spurt the last two years and have become incredibly tall with legs that seemed to go on for miles. My extra fat was pushed down to places that really needed it and I was now the proud owner of natural curves. After I stopped dying my hair black, I cut my hair into a pixie straight after starting university and gradually the black faded off and it grew back in to the most perfect slightly curly hair that are usually seen on shampoo commercials. My eyes improved enough to remove the dull brown lenses and display my light blue eyes but I still had to wear my glasses on some occasions. I was braver with my fashion choices and much more balanced in heels than I was 2 years ago.

I turn to look at the innocent white invitation card on my dresser. It was a re-union party with my batch. I was contemplating whether to crush it or frame it. I didn't really expect to be invited to it because even the principal then didn't really acknowledge me much except for my grades.

After a few moments, I pick up my purse and head to the mall because if I'm going, I needed to look killer enough to break a few hearts.