Chapter 4| Coffee Runs

I got up at 05:30 a.m., full of fear. Honestly, the feeling of being scared, excited me. To be honest, I wasn't sure I even slept but I felt as if adrenaline shot through me when my alarm blared. No snoozing today.

I jump out of my bed and to the bathroom. After a 20 minute scrub down, I head out of the steamy shower and wrap a towel around me. I came out and opened my wardrobe, through the excitement; I had forgotten to keep an outfit out for today last night. I take out a white silk blouse and try it on and a mid-length black pencil skirt followed. It had a tiny slit on the right which made the whole ensemble both professional and attractive. I tucked the shirt quickly and looked at the time.

It was 06:15, I had just enough time to do a hairstyle and grab a coffee on the go.

As if on cue, my phone dinged with an incoming text. It was from a number I didn't have.

Unknown: I need a coffee. Black. No cream with just two spoons of sugar. Brown sugar.

Jennifer: May I know whose speaking?

Unknown: Hunter.

I rolled my eyes at the answer and save his number, not necessarily with his name.

Jennifer: Will the coffee be a routine thing Sir? Or just today?

Asshole: Good question Miss Topaz. It will be a routine thing.

Jennifer: Got it.

I put my phone into my purse and keep it on my bed till I do my hair. I do a braided crown across the front of my head and leave the rest loose. I left a few strands in front for a messier look and do the same make up as yesterday except my lips were now coated with pink tinted translucent lip gloss.

I grab my bag and head out to the Starbucks a few blocks from my apartment complex. I ordered his really specific coffee and two blueberry muffins to go and then stood and waited, hoping it wouldn't take long.

I arrive at the office at exactly 06:52 a.m. which was 8 minutes earlier than I was expected. A world record for me. The receptionist waved me to come over.

'Here, hang this around your neck at all times during work hours in and out of office', she says as she hands me my business card which had a black ribbon through a hole punched in the middle.

'Great, thanks', I say, placing the coffee and the muffins on the counter and putting it on before taking them back.

'Good luck', she says again with a smile, just like yesterday.

I head up the elevator to the same floor I had visited which seemed only minutes ago. The same girl I saw yesterday –the average one- was standing right next to the entrance, as if waiting for someone. She saw me and smiled, 'Miss Topaz, thank god you're just on time. Boss doesn't like tardiness. Anyway, we never formerly met, I'm Kelly. I'm the previous PA. I'm now one of the managers in the food department but I'll be helping you get your bearings first before I let you on your own'

She holds out a hand but then awkwardly takes it back upon seeing my hands were rather occupied right now.

'Let me show you to your new office', she says.

'Sure', I reply, a little flustered.

She guides me to the door just before Hunter's door and opens it. She gestures me to go in and I do. It was smaller than the one I've been in but it looked cozy. It had a cream and white theme and floor to ceiling windows, giving me a breathtaking view of the city.

'It's beautiful', I gasp.

'Yeah, I tried making it as homey as possible and Hunter told me to decorate it the way I liked it that all expenses will be paid by the business bank account so naturally, I chose the comfiest sofas and chairs possibly. Honestly, you can sleep on that sofa', she gushes,' But if you don't like it of course, we can change it...'

Honestly, I only registered the fact that she called him Hunter instead of what he asked me to call him. It took me a moment before answering, 'No, it's perfect'

She seemed to perk up after my answer, 'That's great'

I stayed silent.

'Well, you'd have to meet Hunter now to get your schedule for today and then I can see what I can help you with', she continues.

'Right', I hold the coffee with trembling hands.

'Oh, let me help you with that', she takes my bag and throws it on the sofa along with the muffins.

'Oh, one of those muffins is for him', I manage to say.

She looked at me and smiled, 'Don't bother. He won't eat them'

'Oh, alright', I mutter.

'I'm assuming that's his coffee? He always like his coffee black with-'

'With no cream and just two spoons of sugar yes? Oh yeah and it should be brown sugar', I continue for her.

Her face stiffens, 'Got all that in through one morning?'

'I'm good at whatever I do', I say smugly and shrug, 'I have OCD which helps'

'Only a sick person would say being sick is helpful', she hissed.

Great, I made yet another hate me.

'Guess like you don't need my help after all', she declares, 'I hope Hunter agrees'

'It's Mister Black to you Kelly', a broody voice says from the entrance. I look up and see him

sigh, 'Now I know why my coffee took long. Kelly, you're making it go cold with your little too goody acts'

'Mister Black I was only just-', Kelly began.

'Miss Topaz, I heard you bought me a muffin', Hunter says, not smiling, 'I expect it and the coffee on my table in less than a minute. Got it?'

'Yes sir', I say with a forced smile.

'Good', Hunter looks at Kelly, 'Didn't I put you in that shitty job everyone keeps quitting from? The... ah yes, the manager of the foods department. The one that requires the least qualifications needed'

'Sir-' Kelly tries to put in but yet again gets interrupted by an order from Hunter.

'Leave. Now. Or I'll reduce a few digits from your paycheck since I can't fire you because I personally don't like you. That'll cost me and you're not worth it'

Ouch