Chapter 8 | Malfunctions

The flight was uncomfortable to say the least.

Hunter bore no interest towards my feeble attempts at making conversation and Joseph aways spoke in three worded sentences which was starting to drive me crazy.

A few hours later we descended and landed gracefully, I felt nothing of the impact.

A car was parked near the air strip and a man along with it. He was bald and middle-aged in a blue suit with a friendly Asian look.

'Hunter, it's been a while', The man exclaims. Hunter shakes his hand and acknowledges him' Lao. I belive it has. How's the post here?'

'Doing pretty well but then that'll be my biased answer', he replies and finally notices me trailing Hunter like his own 3D shadow,'Whose this new face?'

Hunter seemed annoying at having to acknowledge me,'Lao this is Jennifer. My PA. Jennifer, this is Lao Fen. He's in charge of our Kuala Lumpur post.'

'Nice to meet you', I greet him enthusiasticall.

'Likewise ', He bows his head and gets back into a conversation with Hunter.

We all got into the car; our luggage was to be carried by another vehicle. The conversation in the car consisted of business and politics. Subjects that I'm not really interested in despite being a PA to a CEO of a major company.

Oh the irony.

We reach the hotel. I read the sign, memorising it to memory. It was easy enough. It's name was capital.

'Mister Black your suite is ready', the receptionist greets us as soon as we enter the building.

It's gold walls and polished furniture made me feel small in comparison for a reason I still didn't quite understand.

'Are you coming? Or are you just going to stand there and gawk?', Hunter shouts out as he enters the elevator.

I scurry over and get inside before the doors close.

It was then that I realized we were alone. Lao had left us earlier and Joseph was somewhere else.

'Sorry for the disturbance. There seems to be a malfunction. Please stay calm. Help will arrive in a short while', a calm voice bustled over the intercom.

A pre-recorded voice that didn't know the anxiety of malfunctioning elevators.

And the light go off.

And all I could feel was a set of eyes baring into my back.