CHAPTER 2 | The Reunion

I take it back. I didn't want to go inside.

I was already outside the entrance, a half hour late. The valet claimed that everyone was already inside. The air was cold and harsh on my skin. This was not the dress to wear and sulk out in this weather.

I was wearing a daring red silk dress that just about reached my toes with a very tall brave slit on my right and it displayed just a peek of my cleavage that could keep a man guessing for hours. My make-up wasn't overdone; I had just done a Smokey eye with a little highlights and my new signature matte red lipstick and I paired off the whole ensemble with tall gold heels.

'Miss, will you be going inside or should I catch you a cab?', The valet asked.

I was just about to nod my head but then decided against it, 'No, I'm going in. I just needed a moment to think'

I started towards the entrance, my heels making that satisfying sound of authority. The man at the entrance, opened the right side of the huge glass doors, giving myself an appreciative look,' In you go Miss?'

'Topaz', I answered him flatly.

He didn't seem to register my disapproving tone and continued flirting, 'Miss Topaz. You're looking mighty fine tonight'

'Have to give my date something worthwhile, am I right?', I lied with a smile.

He seemed to straighten up, his tone changed,' Enjoy your night Miss'

I smiled to myself before entering; now sure that I looked somewhat good enough to attract a guy. I entered the elevator satisfied and clicked the topmost floor button. The few seconds it took for me to reach seemed timeless and excruciatingly painful. The ding I dreaded for, rang and the doors opened to open air, heated with all the people dancing and talking everywhere. One foot after the other, I walked out breathless.

I could barely recognize anyone but for a few.

There was Ted Joseph, one of our school's blonde immature player now in a suit and tie, his hair longer and disheveled, his arm around a single girl that didn't look familiar; he was talking to her with a smile and gave her one of those looks a girl wishes that a guy would give her.

There was Sasha Louis, the school's slut flashing a generous ring on her finger to any unfortunate girl who passed her, her fiancé, whoever the unlucky soul was, was nowhere to be seen.

There was smarty pant Ben who still looked the same although an air of success seemed to surround him as girls queued up for a conversation with him.

And then there was...

'Alex', I said to myself, breathless.

She was still as beautiful and awkward as I remembered her; always uncomfortable with whatever she wore, be it a hoodie or a crop top. Her brown curly hair was now straight and she was now shorter than me since I've grown but her face was one I could never forget. She was wearing a yellow sundress, talking to another girl I couldn't recognize because her back was turned to me. All I could see was the curly mane of blonde hair and the revealing back of a short black mini-dress.

I half walked, half ran to her, 'Alex!'

She looked around, confused but then returned to the conversation with that girl. 'Alex!' I shouted again and her eyes finally set on mine, squinting in confusing and slowly widening in recognition. She excused herself and ran over to me before I could walk over, pulling me into a hug,'Jenny? Jennifer? Please tell me it's you. You're the only one in high school who had that hair although I've never seen it'