Various Types of Diagnostic Technology

1. Radiology- discipline of medical science that uses electromagnetic radiation and ultrasonics for treatment of injury and disease.

2. Conventional Radiography- generally and commonly known as x-ray, a single barrage of x-ray passes trough the body and produces a 2-D image of the interior of the body. Its disadvantage is, the organ overlaps in the image. Tumors, pneunomia, and tuberculosis could be diagnosed by the use of x-ray. It can also be used to see bone fractures and other conditions and to examine the muscular/skeletal system.

3. Biopsy- examination to detect abnormalities of the cell.

4. Myelogram- test to identify spinal cord disorder. Such disorder often shows up in myelogram after a radiopaque liquid has been injected into the spinal cord.

5. Angiogram- various kinds of angiogram shows heart and circulatory diseases.

©Cerebral Angiography- involves the infusion of radiopaque substance into the cerebral to the arterial system. It provides important diagnostic information about the patency, size, irregularities, or occlusion of cerebral vessels.
©Cardiac Angiography- used to visualize coronary arteries,aorta,pulmonary blood vessels, and the ventricles to assess structural abnormalities in the blood vessels.

6. By x-ray examination of the esophagus and stomach, we would be able to highlight details in the upper and lower gastrointestinal tract.

7. CT (Computed Tomography) or CAT (Computer Axial Tomography)- can take highly detailed images of hard and soft tissues to detect very small tumors and other disorders.

©Computed Tomography
©CT or CAT scan.

8. Scinthigraphy- uncovers metabolic diseases and other disorders. This is a procedure in which a small amount of radioactive isotope is introduced in the body.

9. Scintiscan camera- also called gamma camera, it measures the uptake and the concentration of the isotopes in certain tissues such as the brain, kidney, or thyroid gland.

10. Ultrasonography- it is used to locate tumors of the lungs and abnormal cavity.

11. Ultrasound- high frequency sound waves produced by a hand-held device from body tissues detected by the same instrument, which transmits the signals to video monitor.

12. ECG(electrocardiograph)- is useful for diagnosing heart conditions.

13. Pulmonary Test- a test of pulmonary functions, this measures the breathing capacity of lungs and airways and gives information on respiratory functions.

14. Fiber Optic Technology- used to see parts of the body that previously could be seen only by performing surgery.

15. Pap Smear (Papanicolaou's Test)- a vaginal examination that can determine cancer of the cervix.

18. Mammography- procedure that involves using special x-rays to produce an image of soft and hard tissues of the breast.

17. Pelvic Examination- test to assess the general reproductive health of a woman.

18. Skin Test- used to diagnose hypersensitive conditions and allergies.

19. Psychological Test- used to diagnose learning and mental processes.

20. Magnetic Resonance Imaging

21. Electroencephalograph- a graphic record of brain wave activity.

22. Dynamic Spatial Reconstruction or DSR- highly sophisticated x-ray machine which produces moving 3-D, life size images from any view.

23. Digital Subtraction Angiography or DSA

24. Positron Emission Tomography (PET)

25. Cardiac catherization

pp.115-119
Science, Technology, & Society