PROPER HANDLING OF SUSPECTED BOMBS

Before attempting to move any device, the following safety precautions should be considered:

1. Don't be a hero. Call the expert. Attempt to neutralize a device only as a last resort.

2. Don't submerge a device in water due to conductivity of electrical circuits and possibility of violent reaction of chemical agents.

3. Don't move suspected items through inhabited areas. Move the people away from the bomb, not the bomb away from the people.

4. Don't discriminately shock or jar the Improvised Explosive Device(IED).

5. Don't accept identification markings on a suspected package as legitimate.

6. Don't puncture or cut into package with a metallic object.

7. Don't allow high power radio transmission in the vicinity of suspected device.

8. Don't attempt to open pipe caps by hand. Loose explosives may be present in the threads.

9. Don't permit smoking in the vicinity of suspected device.

10. Don't underestimate the explosive capability of a device because of the size. A charge with the size of a thimble or cigarette lighter can kill or mar a person.

11. Don't bury a suspected item.

12. Don't open any suspected package or letter nor place it in a confined area.

13. Don't locate, coordinate and cooperate with the interest available EOD personnel.

Source: Metro Manila Development Authority