spice girl✶amine

i need a spice girl.

————
caution ⚠️ | mature/sensitive content (tw)
————

sweet caroline, good times never seemed so good.

"CAROLINE!" it was the voice filled with anger belonging  to my mother that broke me out of the bubble my mind had made for me to hide in.

"YOU GOT BOUT FIVE SECONDS TO GET DOWN HERE BEFORE I COME UP THERE!" i removed myself from my mattress and made my ways down the stairs where i found her fuming.

"yes ma'am?" i asked as softly as possible.

"i go to work, all day, i slave my ass off, and i come home TO THE HOUSE MESSY AND DIRTY AS FUCK, WHAT YOU CANT CLEAN?" she began to scream and huff.

i looked around at the living room that i had cleaned earlier and it was spotless.

i've been inclined, to believe they never would.

"i'm sorry ma'am." i said as softly as i could with my eyes on the ground.

"you're nothing BUT A WORTHLESS PIECE OF SHIT THAT RUINED MY LIFE, I NEVER WANTED YOU! just just go and die, kill yourself pathetic bitch."

my mother didn't need to put her hands on me to abuse me.

"caroline?" my manager said to me, i probably zoned out again.

"i'm sorry ms. ivy, my mind just wandered."

"that's fine sweetheart, just wanted to let you know you're on front desk duty today." she smiled. sometimes i wish ms. ivy was my mother, nothing but warm and kind with lots of love to give.

this bookstore saved me, books and stories saved my life. i was forever in debt to literature.

but now i look at the night, and it don't seem so lonely.

"welcome to ivy's bookshop." i smiled as the door bell jingled.

"hi, i was hoping you could help me find something." his hair was...odd to say the least, i couldn't stop staring at it.

"hello?" he waved his hand in my face.

"i'm sorry, it's just that your hair..." i struggled to think of something that wouldn't sound offensive, " it's different, a good different though."

he bursted out laughing, "yea, um i get that a lot just not a nicely as you just put it." he smiled at me, tooth and all.

i surprised myself by smiling back.

"so what was it you were looking for sir?"

"its adam, and i'm looking for a book called love to the grave by haddis alemayehu." he looked at me as if he was studying me.

we fill it up with only two.

"lucky you , we just received our first and only copy, it's only available for viewing in store as of now though." i walked away heading towards the cultural texts pinpointing where i had placed the book earlier in the week.

"wow, i don't get a name?" he faked shock while leaning on the bookcase.

"you didn't ask for one." i shrugged handing him the book and going back to the front.

"well this is me asking." he smiled at me again.

"caroline."

and when i hurt, hurtin' runs off my shoulders.