Chapter 7 - The other teammates

After a few more days of extensive morning and noon practises, Hinata and Kageyama seemed to be working together better. You and Tanaka had certainly noticed the specialised sets Kageyama had been giving in order to help Hinata improve his speed moving between positions on the court.

At this time, 8:49pm, you were sitting on a bench with a hot chocolate between your cold hands, your feet rocking back and forth in the air as you watched the two boys setting and receiving to each other on the grass in the park.

Every time they practised, both Hinata and Kageyama insisted you watched them, you thought it was because you gave them little tips to help them, when in reality it was because they tried harder when they knew you were there to support them.

Your knee brace was off now, and you could start jumping again properly in a few weeks. Your doctor said you could start your serving again, but you hadn't told any of the boys at Karasuno yet.

"Next one's from the back!" Kageyama called as he set a high ball for Hinata to get, it was about to pass right over the orange-haired boy as he turned to bolt to get under the ball.

"I got it! H-" He was cut off as the ball stopped in mid-air before it could reach Hinata's arms, it was being held still by a long-fingered hand, one that belonged to a tall blonde boy.

"Wow, you're really practising in the dark"

He smirked, the tall teenager, like his friend cowering behind him, were both dressed in Karasuno school uniforms, the blonde wore glasses, the other had longer, dark hair and freckles.

Your head picked up as you heard a whistle from the tall blonde, "hey cutie, heard you were the new Karasuno Volleyball manager" He spun the volleyball on two fingers, "you'll take good care of me right?"

"Don't kid yourself" you huffed and moved your hand in a swift circle to stir the hot chocolate inside your travel cup, you looked down at the hot drink again.

The blonde tutted his tongue and rolled his shoulders back, turning his attention to Kageyama and Hinata, who were both practically shooting knives out of their eyes after the rude comment the blonde had made to you.

"Watch your tone when you talk to (Y/n)" Kageyama hissed, crossing his arms.

"Are you the two first years who slapped the problem child label on yourselves on the first day?" The blonde scoffed, holding the ball up above his head as Hinata tried to reach for it. He must be 190cm, tops.

"Hey give that back!" Hinata flailed his hands in the air trying to reach for the ball, you frowned. Hinata you're embarrassing yourself.

"You two are the first years we're playing against tomorrow, am I right?" Kageyama's fists clenched to his sides, he seemed a little tense.

The blonde glanced sideways as you stood up, slipping over to stand in front of Hinata to stop him talking any further, your hand slid down his forearm to hold onto his wrist. You looked at him, eye to eye, and he nodded. Understanding you didn't want him to speak anymore.

"Tsukki is 6'2"!" The boy behind the blonde chirped up, the hair stood up a bit on the back of your neck, so I was right, 190.1cm then. "He'll be 6'3" soon!"

The taller male rolled his eyes and adjusted his black glasses, "what are you bragging for, Yamaguchi?"

"Sorry Tsukki!"

Tsukki ruffled his blonde hair, "you're Kageyama from Kitagawa Daiichi, right?" He looked down at the black-haired boy, "what's an elite like you doing at Karasuno?"

"What-" Kageyama's eyebrows met each other as they furrowed, his anger clearly evident on his face as Tsukki averted his gaze to you.

"I cant even begin to think why you're here, Dove of the Thousand Year Capital (Little Kyoto's meaning and your elite nickname)" Tsukki adjusted his headphones around his neck, giving you a knowing look.