Chapter 9 - I remember you

"Sweet-cheeks! You're here!" Oikawa was waving at you, dressed in a white t-shirt and jumper with jeans and converse shoes, leaning up against the school gate's concrete ledge.

But you weren't paying attention to him right now, there was someone standing beside the 3rd year Captain of Aoba Johsai, someone you recognised, "H-Hajime?" Your voice was soft as your hands held tightly to the front of your white singlet, he looked up instantly when he heard you speak.

"(Y/n)?!" He seemed almost distraught, but not nearly as out of it as Oikawa appeared to be when he realised you knew each other.

"What's this Iwa-chan!?" He materialised in front of you and held his arms out either side, blocking you both from seeing each other, "what's up with you being all starry-eyed at my girl?! You're only supposed to be like that to the ugly ones I don't like!"

"I am not starry-eyed Shittyawa!" The dark-brown haired boy headbutted Oikawa straight on and sent the tall boy doubling over to his knees.

"Ahh! That hurt Iwa-chan! Quit hurting me!" Oikawa rubbed his forehead with his fingertips, slowly getting back onto his feet, standing between you two.

"Stupid Hajime" You growled and crossed your arms, turning your nose up with a pout at the spikey-haired boy.

"HAA!?" Iwaizumi snarled in return and shoved Oikawa to one side to grab onto your wrist, "say that one more time crappy dove!" He yelled at your face.

"Don't call me dove!" You returned his volume and hostility, ripping your hand out of iron grip and punching him hard in the shoulder. He stumbled back a step but instantly retaliated by shoving you back to the ground.

Your hands skid over the gravel cement, scrapping the skin off your already worn palms, you flinched, having to glare up at your new opponent, "still so soft ay stupid Hajime?" You said teasingly, one of your eyes closed a little in the pain as you lifted your hands from the dirt, feeling the thousands of tiny scratches from the gravel.

"Am I missing something?" Oikawa stood dumb-struck a metre from you, your eyes didn't leave Iwaizumi's but his head did indeed lead away from yours to his team's Captain.

"This girl you're so set on courting... is (Y/n) (L/n)... the former Dove of the Thousand Year Capital" Iwaizumi pointed at you angrily, "and my... my first..."

"HUHHH!?!" Oikawa's hands smacked onto the sides of his face in pure disbelief as he stared at his teammate looming over you, "YOUR... YOUR FIRST WHAT!?!"

"My first unbeatable rival... she used to train with me at this little volleyball club in the two years I moved away to Little Kyoko with my grandmother" Iwaizumi's figure was bent slightly as his ears turned red, "I never wanted to be an ace, not even when I was younger... but (Y/n) was so persistent, and since I was the only one who could receive well our sensei made me pair up with her when she practised her serves".

You scrunched up fists of dirt, rolling onto your side to drag yourself up, balancing on the balls of your feet in terror that you would be struck down again. Oikawa for once, was just silence, allowing Iwaizumi to continue as his eyes decided to only look at the ground in front of him.

"But the Dove of the Capital has a wicked serve". He closed his eyes, "once, we were getting into the last few minutes before we had to go home... when I was really tired" His spikey-hair seemed to twitch as he spoke, fury radiating off him, well... fury or sadness. "I was so tired... I wasn't really concentrating on my form... and this dove sent me the same dangerous jump serve she had 100 times before, she just never ran out of energy" He finally lifted his gaze up and connected with yours, tears appeared in your eyes at the memory, "you broke my wrist with that serve! I missed out on our tournament at the end of the year because of you!" He snarled.