Chapter 19 - The Night Bus

The bus ride to the Golden Week training camp, held in the Nerima Ward outside the city, was a slow and bumpy one. Sliding your headphones up over your hair, you closed your eyes and leant backwards into the cold-leather seat. As your playlist drowned your ears in a pleasant melody of sounds, you yawned and let your head fall into the shoulder of the boy already snoring beside you.

Tanaka's buzzed head fell lazily against yours, his cheek smooshed against your hair and the top loop of your headphones as his throat rumbled in his sleep. You'd never imagined that over the first few weeks you'd been at school, Tanaka had become a really good friend to you. Every single morning, without fail, that bustily stack of raw energy and grinning charm would be at the bus stop waiting to carry you up the hill to the gym. With Kiyoko by your side, the three of you would talk and laugh as you made it to the doors, where Hinata and Kageyama would be on the floor panting... after having run up the whole way in their incessant race.

Your phone buzzed several times in your hand, and you rubbed your eye as it tried to peel open to read the glaring bright messages in the otherwise dark bus.

Kenma Kozume: Hello (Y/n), I hope your bus ride is ok. Kuroo has dragged me out to the movies, even though I wanted to get a good night's sleep so I could wake up early tomorrow. If I can, I would like to bring you hot chocolate tomorrow at the training camp? Same as always right, little bit of salt in the chocolate.

You hummed sweetly, fingers pawing at the message on the screen. Kenma really was such a kind person, you snuggled a little into Tanaka's arm that lay down at his side.

(Y/n) (L/n): Kenma you are too good! You're the one who has to be playing all day, let me take care of the hot chocolates, I'll have to be there by 6:30 so would you like to meet me outside the gymnasium then?

The moment you hit send, you heard a rattle from a few rows back in the bus since you'd paused your music to reply to Kenma. Looking back over the seats as the bus moved quietly along, you noticed a phone torch on a few rows back, and the dark silhouettes of about three people, perhaps four. The figures were whispering cheerfully, or talking quietly enough that most of their joy was reduced to a softer tone.

Feeling your will to sleep quickly evaporating, you unclipped your seatbelt and.. careful not to wake Tanaka, climbed over the boy and watched swiftly down towards the little lights.
There, constantly perched between rows of empty seats sat Sugawara, Daichi, and Asahi.

The three of them sat along one row, but with Asahi at the window and Daichi beside him, while Sugawara had a whole seat to himself. All three cupped travel mugs of what you could smell was hot tea, the perfect thing to combat against the cold air pouring down on you all. Sugawara has even gone as far as to wrap himself in a large blanket he'd packed.

"Ah (Y/n)-san" Daichi said excitedly, waving you over before he was shh'ed for his volume by the grey-haired setter opposite him.

Sugawara shook his head at the other male before lifting up the blanket draped over the extra bit of his seat. "Here (Y/n), get in before you freeze!" Dragging your sweatpants up a little higher as you climbed in and sat down, you curled your toes as your feet brushed against his fuzzy socks.

Asahi reached out and handed you his thermos of tea, which you gratefully took and sipped. The tea was hot and sweet, and with Sugawara's hand holding the blanket closed around the both of you, you felt your sleepiness returning.

"We were just talking about our first volleyball training camps" Daichi explained, and began a long tale of how awful his first training camp was. He'd forgotten to bring a towel so he had to use his extra shirt to dry himself off after every shower, and he had nothing to wipe his brow with during night practise so he got really sweaty.