Chapter 21 - Collateral Beauty

It was a relatively uneventful movie night with the Nekoma guys, most of the evening you spent lying under the covers of Kenma's futon while you watched him play his Pokémon game curled up next to you. As you grew more exhausted you lay your head on the pillow with your cheek looking up at Kenma's face and watching the bright rectangular reflection of the DS in his eyes. You had the nail of your thumb dug between your top and bottom front teeth while your knees pressed up against the track pants of the boy lying flat on his stomach, with his elbows propping him up to play the Nintendo.

"Kenma.." You gave a questioning tone in your words, your toes bumping the sides of his leg while his stare never wavering from the screen in front of him, he gave an acknowledging 'hmm?' in reply. Reaching down to scratch your own thigh, you glanced over at the clowder of boys all squished together watching the small tv at the other end of the room. "Do you like volleyball?"

"Why are you asking that now?" His unusually dark-lined eyes narrowed slightly as he spammed a button on his DS until a musical chime sound was heard, perhaps he'd caught a Pokémon.

"I've been thinking, about how miserable my life is without volleyball" Tears begun to well and you scrubbed your eyes with the bumpy backs of your knuckles, simultaneously pressing your face into Kenma's closest elbow to hide your shameful face, "I'm so hopeless, I don't even have a job, without this scholarship from my old coach I'd just be stuck at a country prefect school, with none of my friends. Its not like I have any other talents that could get me into a good *hic* program". Your face became flooded with water and you grasped tightly onto Kenma's slim arm, muffling your tears into his jacket sleeve which absorbed more and more of your tears with each passing second. You were disgusted with yourself for the wetness of your nose and the heat of your face as you cowered against the small boy's body submerged mostly under blankets.

"I don't care if you don't play volleyball" He said, very unsure as to how to comfort you, even looking up to Kuroo who'd turned around hearing one of your muffled sniffs, his face riddled with concern. Kenma hoped he would come over and look after you, since he wasn't really kitted out to handle reassuring you. "I'm not your friend because you play volleyball, I think you're... exciting.. and you are very nice.. and fun" Kenma's voice was soft, but less monotonous and with an edge that flushed hues of red into his cheeks. "You are one of my favourite people" he said so quietly, it was practically a whisper against your hair.

"But... I'm broke-*hic*-en.."

Kenma bit the inside of his lip, unbeknownst to you, "your injury.. it was just.. collateral beauty.... You're still you, (Y/n). Broken or not... You're perfect".

His arms discarded his DS gently beside the floor mat, and he pulled the arm you were holding onto free to hug your face into his narrow chest, stroking your hair much like he would a cat, his only known way of comforting someone you suspected. You wriggled uncomfortably for a few seconds, both of you were a little hot from the heavy duvet and Kenma still had his full tracks on, but it felt much nicer pressed against the rhythm of his fluttering heart, so you stayed there.

When you woke up, you were shaded under a thin blanket which shon warmly with the sun peaking in through the near window. Stretching your legs, they brushed against another pair of long pants and you opened your eyes to find a face resting closely beside you. Kenma looked the most well-rested you'd ever seen him, his skin was flush with colour, and the bags under his eyes from holding them open so late seemed to have diluted into mere shadows. He must've gone to sleep just after you, instead of staying up til all ends of the night like he would have usually done. You couldn't help your cold fingers as they stretched out from under the sanctity of your shirt where they had been holding your stomach, to brush ever-so-slightly against the boy's bottom lip.