Chapter 12 - Practise Match

You whirled around in shock as you heard what Oikawa had whispered through the phone, "you look lovely by the way~"

"Where are you?! You're here aren't you?" You couldn't even concentrate on the game as Hinata got yelled at for trying to receive Daichi's ball, as you stood from your Coach bench and looked around the gymnasium.

"No of course not sweet-cheeks I'm waiting outside the doctor's to get my knee checked, then I'm heading over" Oikawa laughed through the phone and it made your blood boil.

"Stupid-kawa" you muttered and hung up before he could even get in a reply.

You heard a loud whistle and your gaze flickered over to the awful sight in front of you; Hinata had accidentally smacked his head against the net pole in a dive to save the ball.

"Hinata-kun!" You squealed in fright and grabbed the first aid kit from under your bench. You ran over to him and slid the last few centimetres on your knees to lean over the smaller boy.

Hinata was clutching the side of his head with with eyebrows twisted together in obvious pain. His legs were kicking back and forth as his fingers twitched against his forehead. Blood ran down over one of his eyes from where he'd cut it on the sharp edge of the pole.

"Oh, it's ok Hinata-kun" You tried to smile softly as you forced him to remove his hands so you could investigate the cut on his head. You carefully dipped a gauze in soothing cream and placed it onto the cut. Hinata reluctantly re-set his fingers onto his head to hold down the tissue paper.

"Thanks (Y/n)-san" Hinata mumbled softly and you patted his head in a 'your welcome" way.

Daichi and Sugawara helped Hinata go sit on the bench just as your teacher quickly approached you, "ahh, (Y/n)-san, since we don't have another middle blocker to play in Hinata's place I asked Aoba Josai's coach and he's agreed to let you substitute in on our team for the rest of the match". He patted you on the shoulder, "will that be alright?"

"Me?" You pointed to yourself, "play in the match?"

"HUH??" Kindaichi, one of Aoba Josai's 'anti-Kageyama' members crossed his arms over his slim chest, "since when can the cute manager play volleyball?"

"That manager, stupid Kindaichi" Aoba Josai's coach began in a gruff voice from the other side of the court, "is (Y/n) (L/n), the Dove Of the Thousand Year Capital, and right now's she's ranked as the most elite quick spiker in Japan". He raised a beady old eye towards his group of boy's all standing around the court in their uniforms, "show some respect".

"Yeah that's right you smug Aoba Jo-HOES!" Tanaka war-cried with a ferocious grin, his teeth almost looked razor sharp as he cackled at the other team, "bow down to our queen!"

"Tanaka-kun!" You spike up finally and his shaved-head whipped around to your flushed face. You pinched the sides of your pants, "stop that now".

Tsukishima smirked and slung his arm around your shoulders as you desperately tried to cover your red face, why would the coach blurt all that out so suddenly?! It's so embarrassing to have all this attention!

"Hey (Y/n)-san, since you're gonna play, you can borrow my other set of knee pads, their in my bag over here" he pointed towards his black duffel tossed with all the other Karasuno bags.

Kageyama wiped his brow as you walked past him sluggishly to go get changed quickly and put your kneepads on. Once you returned, you took your place at the setter's side as Daichi stepped up for his serve.

You played a few turns without needing to jump, as the ball would always end up on Tanaka's spiking side; it was like the other team was trying to keep it away from you.