CHAPTER THREE: A "TREEK"!

IF YOU LIKE OUR WRITING, PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO VOTE AND COMMENT! :)

The two Mam'zelles soon began to settle down at Malory towers, with Mam'zelle Dupont quickly developing a reputation for being jolly and Mam'zelle Rougier one for being 'tough as nails', as Alicia put it.

"Say", said Alicia one day in the common room. "How about we play a trick on old Mam'zelle Dupont to commemorate the new term?"

"Jolly good idea", commented Darrell. "We have a dictée next Tuesday, and I do so want to miss it."

The other girls agreed, with only Gwendoline looking doubtful, but as usual she was ignored. The girls had no time for her snivelling! Soon, the trick Alicia would play began to take shape in her mind. Now all that was left was to obtain what she needed- a mouse.

"A mouse?" said Sally doubtfully. 

'I'll sneak it into Mam'zelles desk drawer, and when she starts the dictée it'll start squeaking and give her a right shock!" said Alicia. Betty Hill laughed. The expression on poor, sweet Mam'zelle Dupont's face when the Frenchwoman saw the mouse would be a riot!

Alas for the girls, luck was not on their side on the day of the dictée! Alicia's plan to catch and imprison the mouse went without a hitch, but unbeknownst to the girls, Mam'zelle Dupont had fallen ill the previous delay and their substitute teacher was none other than the grim Mam'zelle Rougier!

The girls filed into French, full of giggles and excitement. Even Gwendoline Mary couldn't help but feel excited at the thought of Mam'zelle Dupont, who was terrified of small, moving creatures, reacting to the mouse! As Alicia slipped the mouse from a small cage she had fashioned into the desk drawer, Irene gave one of her explosive laughs, which she quickly had to smother with a handkerchief. After all, Mam'zelle could appear at any moment!

The girls heard footsteps approaching the door and Darrell sprang up to hold it open. But as the door swung open, it revealed to the girls not the fat, round Mam'zelle they had expected, but instead the thin and sour Mam'zelle Rougier!

The girls gasped in horror, Alicia especially. Blow! There was no way to remove the mouse now, and who knew what Mam'zelle Rougier would do if she found it? She was Alicia's tower mistress, after all, and a rather strict one at that. 

Mam'zelle Rougier swept up to her desk, nimbly pocketing a gold pen she noticed on Irene's desk on the way. 

"Very well girls", she leered. "Mam'zelle Dupont has assigned to you a dictée, so that is what we shall be doing today."

As Mam'zelle Rougier took out the list of words Mam'zelle Dupont had given to her, her sharp ears twitched at a small sound coming from the desk's drawer. The girls noticed and Darrell and Alicia went white with fear. As for poor Gwendoline, she nearly peed herself. The wimpy girl was simply terrified of Mam'zelle Rougier.

"What is this I heard in the drawer?" asked Rougier. Despite herself, Alicia began feeling a little cheeky. Perhaps she could still manage to salvage the trick!

"Maybe it's a mouse, Mam'zelle", she said primly. Rougier shot her a nasty glare and strode up to the desk drawer, shoving it open with one sharp pull to reveal a cowering little mouse inside.

"A mouse indeed," said Mam'zelle Rougier. She calmly picked up the mouse by its tail, strode to the window, and flung the poor creature outside. Nonchalantly brushing her hands, Mam'zelle Rougier returned to the desk and picked up the dictée while the girls gaped at her in shock.

"Now, shall we resume the dictée"?

HOPE YOU GUYS ARE ENJOYING THE BOOK! COMMENT FOR ANY MINOR PLOT SUGGESTIONS - THE BEST ONE WILL GET FEATURED IN THE NEXT FEW CHAPTERS!