CHAPTER SEVEN: THE FIRST CRIME

IF YOU LIKE OUR WRITING, PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO VOTE AND COMMENT! :)

The term slowly but surely rolled by, with Daphne and Elsie mastering the arts of pickpocketing and theft while Gwendoline observed from the sidelines. Even though she possessed little to no talent for the treacherous practices Rougier made her girls learn, the Frenchwoman still decided to keep her on her team to use as a handy scapegoat in case something went wrong. 

Soon, while the other girls were worrying about their assignments for arithmetic, writing, or French, Mam'zelle Rougier's crime circle was faced with the challenge of a nefarious assignment of their own - their first real theft. 

"Golly," remarked catty Elsie to the other two girls. "It seems like it was only yesterday when Rougier first recruited us- how far we've come!"

"Yes," agreed Daphne. "Though I do wonder why those prissy Pi sisters haven't complained about us yet? They do seem to jolly well snitch out every crime they see!"

"Probably too busy ratting out that awful Alicia Johns," sniffed Gwendoline, who bore no particular love towards Alicia. The girl was far too candid and honest for Gwendoline to like, as she was used to flattering attention!

Although Gwendoline would have dearly loved to steal from Alicia first, it was Darrell Rivers whom Mam'zelle Rougier picked as the girl's first target. One day during French, the cunning woman had noticed Darrell sporting a brand new golden necklace, a birthday gift from her mother, and Rougier's calculative eyes immediately decided it was of enough value to steal. Given that Darrell was oft to play games of Lacrosse, tennis and swimming, she left the necklace in her dresser most of the time, leaving the three girls a perfect opportunity to steal it!

The trick was carefully planned down to the last minute by Mam'zelle Rougier, who wanted to take no risks. However, unfortunately for the band of thieves, the Pi sisters were on the prowl! Sure enough, the two girls had been itching to snitch on the little group of 'sinners', and had taken to following Gwendoline, Daphne and Elsie around hoping they would catch them committing a crime. And as luck would have it, one fine Thursday evening, their patience was rewarded!

Mam'zelle Rougier kicked off the theft by calling Darrel and Alicia to her office after prep, having failed them in a dictée two days prior even though they had both achieved full marks. The two girls were imprisoned in Mam'zelle's office with stacks of French words to copy out, leaving the coast clear for Gwendoline, Elsie and Daphne to steal the necklace from Darrell's dresser.

Creeping into the common room, the three girls rushed to Darrell's dresser and flung open the drawer, frantically searching for the necklace. Gwendoline's vice-like hands had just clasped around the gold chain when the Pi sisters triumphantly barged into the dorm!

"WE KNEW IT!" crowed Doris. "We knew you would catch you three sinners! Bow down and repent in the name of our Lord!"

The three girls went white with fear, especially Gwendoline, who froze while still clutching the necklace. Blow! Why did those Pi sisters have to ruin everything!

"Now, wait a second - " began Daphne, but it was too late! The Pi Sisters' shriek had already drawn the attention of the nearest teachers to the dorm- who just happened to be Mam'zelle Dupont and Mr. Young!