CHAPTER SIX: CRIMINAL TRAINING

IF YOU LIKE OUR WRITING, PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO VOTE AND COMMENT! :)

Rougier wasted no time with her criminal circle. She needed to train them to conduct smaller heists before they could attempt the grand plan: a raid of Miss Grayling's office. The old crone was rumored to be from a wealthy English family, and had amassed several Ming vases in her study.

Every day after Prep, the girls would report to Mam'zelle Rougier's office claiming to have extra French. Since all the girls Rougier had chosen were the duffers of their class, Miss Potts never doubted them. 

"Yes yes, do try to not be bottom in at least one subject," Miss Potts said wearily.

In the first training session, Rougier trained Gwendoline, Daphne and Elsie to nimbly pick-pocket valuable goods. She sat at her throne-like desk with her pet cobra draped over her shoulders while the girls practiced swiping wallets, necklaces and even earrings. Daphne had rather a talent with her quick fingers, and Rougier was impressed.

"Ah little one, you remind me of my petite niece back in France!" reminisced Rougier sentimentally.

Gwendoline, however, was rather a disaster. She was clumsy and pot-bellied from missing all those lacrosse practices, so she moved at the pace of a hyena wading through a bog. Rougier clutched at her temples while watching the inept girl train and frequently rapped her knuckles as punishment.

"I shall complain to Mummy!" shrieked the spoiled girl in her high-pitched voice. "My governess Miss Winters and she would never stand for this!"

Rougier rolled her eyes. 

"Esme!" she called. The gigantic cobra slithered towards the girls and Gwendoline cowered in fright while Daphne stroked its scales calmly. 

"You will listen to me," hissed Rougier. "Or get out."

Right then, there was a knock on the door. Rougier hastily blew out all the candles and commanded Esme to hide under the bed. The girls whipped out their French textbooks and pretended to be poring over them. 

"Yes!" snarled Rougier. "Come in."

A timid man walked into the office, holding a bouquet of wild flowers. This was Mr. Young, the only male teacher who taught music at Malory Towers. He was a shy, mild-mannered person and "an ideal target", according to Alicia. For some strange reason, he had taken a liking to Mam'zelle Rougier!

Rougier looked quite surprised to see this pesky man. She had seen him staring at her at the dinner table, and had later secretly catapulted a spoon of mushy peas at his irritating face. Funny, that usually taught people a lesson!

"What do you want!" she barked.

"Err... I was just wondering whether you'd want to take a stroll in the village sometime?" inquired Mr. Young.

Now Rougier's English was not quite as good as her French, and she associated the word "stroll" with romance, engagements and later marriage. She thought this young man wanted to ask for her hand!

"OUT!" she yelled. "I will not be married to anybody, let alone an English rug-rat who looks like he was drowned at a young age!"

Mr. Young scampered in alarm, leaving the bouquet of flowers on the floor. 

"Girls, pick up those weeds and trash them." Rougier said. "We need to get ready for our first trial on Darrell and Alicia tomorrow."