The Houses

The large wooden door swung open at once and revealed a tall, black-haired witch in emerald-green robes. She had a very stern face that I would know anywhere, Professor McGonagall. How I missed her.

"The firs' years, Professor McGonagall," said Hagrid proudly.

"Thank you, Hagrid. I will take them from here", she said sternly as if he were still her student before she waves her hand at the door.

The door opens wider, and we all take a glimpse of the magnificent entrance hall.

The stone walls were lit with flaming torches which revealed old banners and paintings, the ceiling was so high I couldn't tell where it ended, and a magnificent marble staircase facing them led to the upper floors.

I looked at Hermione to see she was also in awe of the beautiful academy entrance. We followed Professor McGonagall across the flagged stone floor. I made sure to stay near Hermione and Ron, not wanting to get lost.

 I could hear a loud raucous from the right of the hallway and assumed that was where the rest of the students had gone. I thought that was where Professor McGonagall was leading us, but instead, we continued on into a small chamber at the end of the hall.

We all crowded together so we would all fit inside. I tried not to step on anyone's toes once we were all in.

"Welcome to Hogwarts," Professor McGonagall says gaining our attention. "The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your Houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your House will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your House, sleep in your House dormitory, and spend free time in your House common room.

"The four Houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Each House has its own noble history, and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your House points, while any rule-breaking will lose House points. At the end of the year, the House with the most points is awarded the House cup, a great honor. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever House becomes yours.

"The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting." 

Her eyes lingered for a moment on Neville's cloak, which was fastened under his left ear, and on Ron's smudged nose.

I nervously turned to Hermione, "Do I look alright?"

She nods her head, "How about me?"

"You look good," I tell her before I hear Professor McGonagall call for us."I shall return when we are ready for you. Please wait quietly."

She left the chamber and shut the door behind her.

"Are you worried about the test?" I ask Hermione.