The Discovery

Christmas was fast approaching, as the cold month of December came to an end. Everyone was unwinding, knowing that the cheerful holiday was around the corner.

Draco was still very bitter about Slytherin losing the Quidditch game, and made it his own personal vendetta to taunt Harry about not having a proper family. I felt horrible once I had heard and said that I would stay with him over the holidays, but Ron and his siblings were staying anyway. Apparently, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley were going to Romania to visit Charlie.

We were just leaving the dungeons which were freezing when we found a large fir tree blocking the corridor ahead. I noticed two enormous feet sticking out at the bottom and knew that Hagrid was hidden behind it.

"Hi, Hagrid, want any help?" Ron offered, moving the branches so Hagrid could see his face.

"Nah, I'm all right, thanks, Ron."

"Would you mind moving out of the way?" Draco said in his entitled drawl. "Are you trying to earn some extra money, Weasley? Hoping to be gamekeeper yourself when you leave Hogwarts, I suppose — that hut of Hagrid's must seem like a palace compared to what your family's used to."

Ron dived at Draco before I could pull him back, "He's not worth it Ron!"

"WEASLEY!" Snape's voice grabs all of our attention as we turn to see him. Ron lets go of Draco's robes with a sheepish grin, patting him on the head.

"He was provoked, Professor Snape," Hagrid defended, making himself seen. "Malfoy was insultin' his family."

"Be that as it may, fighting is against Hogwarts rules, Hagrid," Snape smirked. "Five points from Gryffindor, Weasley, and be grateful it isn't more. Move along, all of you. And before you leave Miss Ambrosio, I would just like to deduct another fifteen points for every day you broke dress code this year."

I shrug, fixing my red cape on my shoulders. My mother made it clear not to remove it and I haven't, except to wash it and shower. Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle pushed roughly past Hagrid making the leaves of the tree fall down, leaving a huge mess on the floor Hagrid would no doubt have to clean later.

"I'll get him," Ron swore, curling his fingers into a fist, "One of these days, I'll get him —"

"I hate them both," Harry pushed his glasses higher, "Malfoy and Snape."

"Come on, cheer up, it's nearly Christmas," I tell them, skipping happily to Hagrid.

Hagrid smiles, patting my back "Tell yeh what, come with me an' see the Great Hall, looks a treat."

We all nodded and followed Hagrid to the Great Hall, where we were supposed to meet Hermione. Professor McGonagall and Professor Flitwick were busy decorating the trees. "Ah, Hagrid, the last tree — put it in the far corner, would you?"